Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One online CLI request denial clarification

tag
scuba_steve
Established Member

Capital One online CLI request denial clarification

Long term lurker here that has made great strides in improving my credit score thanks to the info available here. We just moved half way across the country and closed on a house. I've had a Cap 1 account since 2008 and received rapid CLI increases in the beginning, then stopped at $4000. I've tried the luv button and been declined in the past for various credit report related issues. So, after closing on the house, I thought I would try again. This is the response I received today:

You recently requested a credit line increase for your Capital One® account. Unfortunately, your account isn´t eligible right now. We know this isn´t the answer you were hoping for and we want to help you understand why:
A credit limit increase is currently not available upon request because Capital One is evaluating account activity at assigned credit limits.
In case you need a little more clarity, we´ve included some additional information on a separate page. You´ll see FAQs, common reasons that requests for credit line increases are declined, and useful suggestions on what you can do next.
We hope you find this information helpful. If you have other questions, go to www.capitalone.com/creditlineFAQ

Has anyone else received this response and know what it means? To me, it sounds like they are asking me not to try the online request anymore.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One online CLI request denial clarification

send them a message on Facebook and let the EO office call you and get a manual review done of your account for cli.

Message 2 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

It sounds like you have a credit step card. I would call the EO as suggested.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 15
_sidhe_
Regular Contributor

I saw this a while back on my QS, and I think it's just a copy and paste response they send to everyone and not that you necessarily have a secured card.

Message 4 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

sounds like marketing speak, for "sorry no CLI at this time, here are some words of comfort so you don't kick our card to the curb or the sock drawer"  Try back again in 6 months. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 15
scuba_steve
Established Member

It's not a credit steps card. It started out that way, then I PC'ed it to a Venture card a few years ago. I did PC it to QS about 5 months ago (and really enjoy the cash back rewards). I wonder if it just hasn't been long enough since the PC. I was just confused by their response in that is doesn't really list specific reasons for the CLI denial. I may try to reach out to the EO on FB. Thanks for the advice!

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same response when I tried a CLI. I tried it with 80% util on the card...not sure if that was a reason...I've got the card on November of last year with a CL of 10k.

Message 7 of 15
IamB2
Established Contributor

@scuba_steve wrote:

It's not a credit steps card. It started out that way, then I PC'ed it to a Venture card a few years ago. I did PC it to QS about 5 months ago (and really enjoy the cash back rewards). I wonder if it just hasn't been long enough since the PC. I was just confused by their response in that is doesn't really list specific reasons for the CLI denial. I may try to reach out to the EO on FB. Thanks for the advice!

That is your key right there. I remember when I asked to PC my dad's card to QS (from platinum) they told me that no updates or CLIs would be available to him in the next 6 months. Despite this, however, they did AUTO CLI him from 2K to 3.5K CL. But I remember them telling me in chat that if I chose to accept the upgrade to QS, I couldn't request any additional changes for the next 6 months.

Hope that helps.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 8 of 15
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

@scuba_steve wrote:

You did the same route I did.  I peaked at $5K and have tried and been decline many times over the years.  I called EO and ultimately received a CLI of $1500.  I'm not jumping through hoops with CapOne anymore.  I am closing my account of many years and switching all my banking to my CU.  I have all the prime cards so no need for a garbage lender like CapOne.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 9 of 15
scuba_steve
Established Member

@dallasjetfan wrote:

You did the same route I did.  I peaked at $5K and have tried and been decline many times over the years.  I called EO and ultimately received a CLI of $1500.  I'm not jumping through hoops with CapOne anymore.  I am closing my account of many years and switching all my banking to my CU.  I have all the prime cards so no need for a garbage lender like CapOne.

Yes, I am growing tired of them too. But, I am locked at 7.15% interest which is nice when I need to carry a balance short term. I'll give it 1 last shot and contact the EO to see if anything can be done there.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.