Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One or other card for BT

tag
thevariable
Valued Member

Capital One or other card for BT

So, I have an Amex Gold and a Blue. I haven't been CLD, but my bill has a note saying that my interest rate will be increasing next month to prime + 13.99% up from prime + 9.99%. I am, because of an unfortunate turn of events, I will not be paying my bill off in full (like I usually do) for a few months. I don't want to pay interest on it, so I'm thinking of BTing to a Capital Card that has 0% interest on purchases and BT until Oct 2009. I have a score of about 710-720. I know a lot of people don't like Capital One cards, but I don't plan on using it for anything except this balance transfer. In fact, it should have a balance of zero before the end of spring. 

Not only do I want to pay interest, but I don't want to have a balance on my Amex for too long. 

In addition to the Amexs, I have a 1st Financial Visa w/ a CL of 4,000 and a very low balance which has 0% for life and a Nordstrom Visa w/ a CL of 2,500 w/ no balance. 

Is it a good idea to apply with my score? Also, which CR does Capital One pull? Does anyone know of a similar or better BT offer?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
thevariable
Valued Member

Re: Capital One or other card for BT

I just found a BOA card w/ about the same terms. Do I have a better chance w/ Cap One or BOA? Also, which is the better CCC?
Message 2 of 7
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

I just did a bt to my existing cap 1. I got 3.99% for life of transfer. If you don't have a cap1 card just know that they'll do an inq on all 3 crs. Here is a preapp boa to see if you qualify, there's no hard for this. https://preapproved.bankofamerica.com/cc/SelfInquiry.aspx
Message 3 of 7
thevariable
Valued Member

I just checked the BOA preapproval site and I saw a MC w/ 0% for 12 months on BT and prime plus 2.99, 5.99, or 9.99% on purchases, but the CapOne card is a MC w/ 0% for 12 months on BT and purchases and prime + 8.49% after the intro period.
Message 4 of 7
thevariable
Valued Member

Can someone please help? I really do appreciate it. 

Message 5 of 7
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Cap One is stingy with limits. I have a 730 score and they gave me $1,000.
Message 6 of 7
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

@itsjustmeibe wrote:
Cap One is stingy with limits. I have a 730 score and they gave me $1,000.

I think I depends on the type of card you apply for. Cap One can be stingy with CLIs as well. I was approved for a Chase Freedom Card for a BT last month. I personally prefer Chase or Discover over Cap One. 

10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.