Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One- paying before charge hits

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Capital One- paying before charge hits

My statement date for my Capital One card is the 21st of the month. Yesterday I send someone 190 dollars western union and used my Capital One card to pay for it. I want to make sure my account is at <9% util on statement day. I get my paycheck t'm iomorrow. Capital One will only let me pay 10% over what I owe on the bibilll through their payment on their website. the website shows this charge pending but it hasn't fully hit my bill yet. To make sure that I pay this before the statement date which is in 3 days, I am considering sending capital one money through billpay from BofA. That way I  can send them the full amount tom when I get paid and it should hit by the statement date. Should I do this or should I just wait a day or two and pay the bill through the Capital One online interface when the charge hits? It is not a huge huge deal if I don't pay it by the statement date because I am in the garden anyway for a few month, but I would really like to pay my account down to <9% util just to be in the habit of maximizing my score. Any suggestions? How long does a western union charge usually take to hit? will 3 days be long enough?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One- paying before charge hits

@dddewdrop wrote:

My statement date for my Capital One card is the 21st of the month. Yesterday I send someone 190 dollars western union and used my Capital One card to pay for it. I want to make sure my account is at <9% util on statement day. I get my paycheck t'm iomorrow. Capital One will only let me pay 10% over what I owe on the bibilll through their payment on their website. the website shows this charge pending but it hasn't fully hit my bill yet. To make sure that I pay this before the statement date which is in 3 days, I am considering sending capital one money through billpay from BofA. That way I  can send them the full amount tom when I get paid and it should hit by the statement date. Should I do this or should I just wait a day or two and pay the bill through the Capital One online interface when the charge hits? It is not a huge huge deal if I don't pay it by the statement date because I am in the garden anyway for a few month, but I would really like to pay my account down to <9% util just to be in the habit of maximizing my score. Any suggestions? How long does a western union charge usually take to hit? will 3 days be long enough?

Just wait, after all, it makes no difference when you are in the garden.

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

YMMV 

Usually my pending charges only take a day to post to my CAP 1 account so in theory you should be able to pay whatever amount you wish tomorrow.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

The real question here is how did you send someone money with your credit card? Western Union never lets me use my credit cards, Smiley Sad.

Message 4 of 6
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@GMCSierraDenali wrote:

The real question here is how did you send someone money with your credit card? Western Union never lets me use my credit cards, Smiley Sad.

Idk. I have been a western union gold card member for a while and have sent over 50k in the last 2 years. Not only could I send it with my credit card, even better, it wasn't counted as a cash advance. I know for a fact that you cannot send it with a credit card from the western union branch at my local supermarket, but online, i seem to have no problem doing that. I prefer to send cash but I had a short term liquidity squeeze so the credit card came in very handy.

Message 5 of 6
kk627
New Contributor

@GMCSierraDenali wrote:

I use my CC sometimes, but then I get hit with a cash advance fee.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.