cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One product change Mastercard to Visa Sig or Mastercard to WM?

tag
Cali_Credit
Frequent Contributor

Capital One product change Mastercard to Visa Sig or Mastercard to WM?

I have 2 mastercards both with 6,000$ limits that were opened in 2006 and 2007. I was wondering is anyone has has any success with a change from Mastercard to Visa Sig or Mastercard to World Mastercard?

These cards were changed a year ago or so from

Plat. Mastercard to Quicksilver

Plat. Mastercard to ---> Venture

They both still stay Plat. mastercard on my online banking also, any advice will be great.

Current Fico's: TU 797 / EQ 785 / EX 775
Wallet: US Bank Business Edge $16,000 I Chase Ink $18,500 | US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $15,000 | Amex PRG NSL | Barclay Arrival+ WMC $10,000 l Amex BCP $20,000 | PenFed Visa Sig $9,000 | DCU Plat. $10,000 | Logix $10,000 | Discover $18,900 | WalMart $10,000 | Paypal MC $15,000 | Barclay NFL $3,400 | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMC $34,500 | J C Penny $5000 | Target $2000 13 Personal & 2 Business CreditCards
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One product change Mastercard to Visa Sig or Mastercard to WM?

@IECredit wrote:

I have 2 mastercards both with 6,000$ limits that were opened in 2006 and 2007. I was wondering is anyone has has any success with a change from Mastercard to Visa Sig or Mastercard to World Mastercard?

They both still stay Plat. mastercard on my online banking also, any advice will be great.

they probably are already World Mastercards. what it says on your signin page does not matter. does it say world on the card it self. ??? really not a hellofa lot of a difference to be honest. my Quicksilver says world. which i could care less. but Ymmv and your reasoning.

Message 2 of 13
L-TWT
Established Contributor

I've been told by Cap 1 EO on many occasions that a visa can never be changed to a mastercard, and vice versa!! Which sounds stupid, but each financial institution have their own rules. But I would love for my visa signature to be converted to a world elite mastercard to which I know they offer on their mastercard s.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think anyone changes networks. They would have to change your account number because your number is identified specifically with the network it has. I believe it is the second set of four numbers which are identified with a certain network.
For example
xxxx 1234 xxxx xxxx is MC
xxxx 9876 xxxx xxxx is VS
Message 4 of 13
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@IECredit wrote:

I was able to change my plain-jane Platinum Mastercard (converted from Orchard Bank) to a Quicksilver World Mastercard. This was a few months after asking for a CLI on the account from $1.5k to $10k.

It will likely be done automatically when you convert your cards, that's what happened with mine, although I did ask to confirm such. Good luck!

Message 5 of 13
L-TWT
Established Contributor

Citibank does, because I had it done personally!

Message 6 of 13
uswala
Senior Contributor

My DW recently changed her QS MC with $6000 CL to WMC through EO. 

(http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/QS-WMC-conversion-experience/m-p/3642989/highl...

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No.  It is the first number.  3 is Amex.  4 is Visa.  5 is MasterCard.  6 is Discover and some store cards.  

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think anyone changes networks. They would have to change your account number because your number is identified specifically with the network it has. I believe it is the second set of four numbers which are identified with a certain network.
For example
xxxx 1234 xxxx xxxx is MC
xxxx 9876 xxxx xxxx is VS

Message 8 of 13
mxp114
Valued Contributor

I think 37, 4, 5 and 6011 are the network prefixes for each.

Message 9 of 13
Kellan
Regular Contributor

Actually you are both right to a drgree about card numbers. 3 is Amex, 4 visa, and 5 MC. But the first 6 numbers of the card says what bank it belongs too. The rest of the numbers are your account number basically. Now many large banks have more than one set of first 6 numbers. Many banks do their own org system internallay but to my knowlege it is not required by MC and Visa. Of course Amex and discover is their own systems so the first 6 numbers dont apply to theose. 

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.