Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One products?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One products?!

I now capital one offers SEVERAL different products. However, how come some are Visa and some are MC? What is a Visa "signature" card? Is the QuickSilver a Visa or MC? I see people with both in their signature. The confusion!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One products?!

Quicksilver offers both a visa signature and MasterCard version. The VS is for people with excellent credit and the MasterCard is for people with average credit. One has no no annual and the other has an annual fee. The visa signature offers more perks I believe it's extra warranty protection, concierge, other assistance etc. I'm not sure if anyone even uses these perks. It's also a flexible spending card which means you may be able to charge more than your limit. If your credit score permits I would advise going with the visa signature one as you'll be more likely to start with a higher starting credit limit, have no annual fee, and get the sign up bonus, etc. I think the card looks cooler and cleaner without the Quicksilver "ONE" on it too lol. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Quicksilver MasterCard is usually what people with average credit who've had the lower tier cards (Quicksilver one or Platinum) and upgraded to the Quicksilver with no annual fee.

Visa Signature is for excellent credit and it has added perks.
Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
The Quicksilver MasterCard is usually what people with average credit who've had the lower tier cards (Quicksilver one or Platinum) and upgraded to the Quicksilver with no annual fee.

Visa Signature is for excellent credit and it has added perks.

+1

At one time (a year or so ago) there was a 'Platinum' MasterCard available to people with "Excellent" credit with an APR that was a few points lower than the rewards cards, but with no rewards.  This is no longer available to new applicants in it's previous form, but many folks who had it were able to get it PC'd to a Quicksilver as well.  (Note that there is currently a 'Platinum' MasterCard offering, but it's geared towards rebuilders and folks just starting out, and has a high APR).

Other folks such as myself ended up with a Quicksilver MasterCard through a series of PCs, in my own case in particular my card started out with HSBC.  My QS MasterCard has a lower credit line ($3.9k) than my QS Visa Signature ($8k), but it has a lower APR and is one of my oldest accounts so I don't care to close it or combine it.  My QS Visa gets balance transfer offers that my MasterCard doesn't get, so it has a 'use' as well.

As for 'Signature' or 'World' perks, they are nice I guess for some folks but I've never had a use for them.  There was an offer for several months last year for Visa Signature card holders that was something of a 'buy one get one free' deal for movie tickets, but that's been over for a while.  Other than that, I've never seen anything even remotely of interest tied to the 'Signature' label.

Message 4 of 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

In CAP ONE world only (non GM cards) - 

QS1 MC is starter card better than Plat

QS is better

Venture is better

Visa is better than MC

however, a MC can become a World MC and is just as good or better than Signature Visa.  I believe that World MC has better travel benefits than Siggy Visa (luggage insurance, rental insurance, etc.)

I have a World MasterCard Venture (unusual) because it was upgraded from 3k QS1 to 3.5k QS1 to 3.5k QS to 12.5k QS to World Venture.

MC and Visa are same level as far as other banks and merchants.

MC is used more in Europe than Visa.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.