cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One raised my interest rate simply because they can!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One raised my interest rate simply because they can!

How dare they!!!

A few hours ago I opened my mail and read that Capital One was raising my interest rate from a fixed rate of 9.9% for purchases and cash to a variable rate of prime plus 14.65% for purchases and even ridiculously higher rate for cash.  My credit score is in the high 700's.

I have a zero balance and a credit limit  limit of $8,300.  I haven't used the card in a while but had a 0% transfer balance and paid it off two weeks ago.  I was going to call them and give them a piece of mind, but I read articles online that states this is par for the course for this particular lender.

The article below was written on 2/25/2009 - today.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/02/cap_one_revolt.html

The article below was written on 2/23/2009 - two days ago.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/personal-finance/credit-card-companies-raising-rates-consumers

The article below was written in 11/2008
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/banking/2008-11-09-bank-credit-card-interest-rates_N.htm

My first response, without thinking:  "I'll show them".  However the more rational response is to analyze how closing the account will affect my credit score.  I can get a credit increase of $8,300 from one of my other creditors, which would balance out my percentages if I should close the account.  Before I close the account, I have to re-calculate my average credit history length to make sure that this number is not greatly decreased.

I could also just leave the account open, not use the card and continue to let others know how unfair this company has treated me as well as others.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One raised my interest rate simply because they can!

Thank you for the links (unfortunately the fox news link is no longer working Smiley Sad ).

I had always defended Capital One to some degree since they had always had great balance transfer offers and since they had a reputation for not ratejacking. But after this I see now that I can put them in the same fair-weather friends category as Chase, Bank of America, and (now) Citibank.

Despite the age of my account, I'm thinking that within the next few years it might worth closing the account. Literally the only good thing left about the account (so far) are the balance transfer offers. The customer service is awful, I see that I can't trust them now to not ratejack, they won't let me convert this account to anything else, they used to deliberately not report the credit limits, and it wasn't until after I'd had my account for several years that they then informed me that, "oh, hey, guess what -- this account's credit limit is permanently capped at $ 10k"
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 02-25-2009 09:41 PM
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also received my letter from Cap One letting me know that my APR was now 17.9%....amazingly only on the card that doesn't carry a balance, the other stayed at 9.5%. 

This really isn't unusual for Cap One. A few years ago I was also included in one of their across the board rate jacks. My card went from 15% and 17% to 21.9% then.  Since these are my oldest cards I chose to keep them and just pay in full each month.  About 6 months after the change in terms I called their backdoor number and had them both reduced...11% and 12%.  I'm hoping the same strategy works this time.

In defense of Cap One I have to say that at least they aren't reducing credit limits without warning like AMEX and some other "prime cards"

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 02-26-2009 04:33 PM
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay....just picked up my mail....the card that was at 9.5% will now be 17.9% also. But, and this is strange, the new APR will not take affect until Feb. 2010....anyone else get that little note added?

In the same mail I received notice that the APR on my Target Visa will be going from 17.9% to 22.9%. Good thing I don't carry balances on any of these!

Message 4 of 24
Takunda1
Established Contributor

@MojaveMoon wrote:
Thank you for the links (unfortunately the fox news link is no longer working Smiley Sad ).

I had always defended Capital One to some degree since they had always had great balance transfer offers and since they had a reputation for not ratejacking. But after this I see now that I can put them in the same fair-weather friends category as Chase, Bank of America, and (now) Citibank.

Despite the age of my account, I'm thinking that within the next few years it might worth closing the account. Literally the only good thing left about the account (so far) are the balance transfer offers. The customer service is awful, I see that I can't trust them now to not ratejack, they won't let me convert this account to anything else, they used to deliberately not report the credit limits, and it wasn't until after I'd had my account for several years that they then informed me that, "oh, hey, guess what -- this account's credit limit is permanently capped at $ 10k"
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 02-25-2009 09:41 PM

Why would you complain about rate jacking. This is the norm in the credit world now. Name any bank and everyone is increasing. APR's. Its simple economics, banks need to make money and reduce their exposure at the same time. So basically they want you to use their card but not carry a large balance with them. Since all this economic trouble today is due to people spending more than what they could afford. I would encourage APR's to go up to 50% for anyone who carries a balnce for over three months on the same purchase.

I think most pple on this forum will agree that now is not the time to carry a balance on a cc, PIF and the interest rate increase will not affect you in anyway.

Message 5 of 24
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One rate jacking may be the industry norm now, but...

One of the forum users said that this has become the industry norm.

Then what's the purpose of trying to maintain a high FICO score if you can still get the rates that are typically associated with lower score?

My rate was not raised based on something I had done with that creditor or any of my creditors.  It was done simply because they can.  The notice even said that if the terms are not acceptable, you have one option - close the account.

But before I close the account, I will make a few attempts to get the rate lowered and if that doesn't work, shift around my other accounts so that closure of this account (should I choose that option) does not affect my credit score.

Message 7 of 24
Established Contributor

@Takunda1 wrote:

I think most pple on this forum will agree that now is not the time to carry a balance on a cc, PIF and the interest rate increase will not affect you in anyway.

I may not be "most people" but, I absolutely agree with that statement.

After the new credit law goes into effect, the banks will not be able to raise the interest rate on existing outstanding balances. The interest rate on outstanding debt will go through the roof right before the law kicks in. Available credit with reasonable interest rates will cease to exist for people who revolve balances for long periods of time.

Message 8 of 24
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One rate jacking may be the industry norm now, but...

Thurston wrote:

One of the forum users said that this has become the industry norm.

Then what's the purpose of trying to maintain a high FICO score if you can still get the rates that are typically associated with lower score?

Actually interest rates associated with lower scores are even higher.

The fact is that the best interest rates always fluctuated with market forces. People with extremely high Fico scores got the best rates. Those people will still get the best rates and terms.

In addition to consideration of the FICO scores banks must now counteract the so called credit reform laws that are going into effect soon. The new law effectively freezes the interest rate on existing debt with only an obligation of making payments of about 2% per month until the debt is paid off. The banks will definitely not allow themselves to be stuck with interest rates on loans that could be lower than fair market in the future. The interest rates on balances for people who have demonstrated a track record of not PIFing are being raised even now. That practice is not necessarily linked directly to FICO scores, rather it is a result of the politicians mandating the "price fixing" of interest rates.

The new law allows the consumer to slowly pay off revolving balances at a "frozen" rate even if the fare market interest rates rise. If prevailing interest rates drop, the consumer could transfer balances to other lower "capped rate" credit cards. The banks are not going to let that happen. The law makers knew that that won't happen even when they were writing the laws. The politicians knew that the law will effectively raise interest rates for the vast majority of people who carry debt. They enacted that disastrous law which favors the banks and not the consumers anyway.

There will still be plenty of "promotional" lower interest rates.

The main difference is that all ongoing or "go to rates" must be higher than would have otherwise been necessary in a free market place. This is not a new phenomenon. Whenever the free market anticipates future "price freezes", the market reacts by quickly inflating prices to a ridiculously high level.  Of course the consumers would stop buying products at the obscenely high price. The businesses preclude that from happening by offering temporary promo deals that could be withdrawn at any time.

In the early 70s when government mandated price freezes were being threatened, fast food places immediately more than doubled the prices of its product. Of course the temporary offer of two for the price of one deals were instituted at the same time. Do the math, prices more than doubled, and promos were only 50% off. The consumer lost out. That is what is now happening with the cost of borrowing money. The consumer loses. Don't blame credit scores. If your credit score was lower you would  be losing more.

Thurston wrote:   

My rate was not raised based on something I had done with that creditor or any of my creditors.  It was done simply because they can.  The notice even said that if the terms are not acceptable, you have one option - close the account.

The rate was reduced not just because "they can",

but also because they must as the result of the impending interest rate price freezes mandated by their congressional cronies.

If you choose the "close the account" option, you loose even more. Your score will probably suffer and you won't be able to get the lower "temporary" promotional inertest rate offers that will be ongoingSmiley Wink 

Thurston wrote:

But before I close the account, I will make a few attempts to get the rate lowered and if that doesn't work, shift around my other accounts so that closure of this account (should I choose that option) does not affect my credit score.

If you get the rate lowered for now

it will only be raised back up right before the freeze goes into effect.

More than likely if you ask for a lower interest rate you will get a temporary promo offer that will allow your ongoing rate to stay in force.

You can choose to close the account or learn to play by the new rules. Many of us didn't stop eating pizza in the 70s. We just took the "temporary" 2 for 1 deals and life went on.   Smiley Wink

Message Edited by CreditAble on 02-27-2009 04:19 PM
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One rate jacking may be the industry norm now, but...

I've been expecting and finally received the same letter, a RJ to 17.9% variable and the unwholy 20-something percent for cash advances, I've never taken a cash advance on a CC and never will,

Good news though, I currently have a 5,900 0% for life BT that will not be affected by  the RJ so CrapOne isn't all bad, 

On another note, BofA denied my luv button CLI request telling me I have plenty of credit available to me based on my income,  I was wanting to increase the BofA limit while I wait for HSBC to axe that card since I'll not be using it again,

AMEX and HSBC are devils, 

The current econmic crisis won't last forever (I hope!!!)   As you don't plan on using the C-1 card, keep it open, Closing it won't nessessarily hurt your credit scores, but it could limit your access to future 0% BT offers from C-1 since Credit Cards are CapOnes life, 

I also received a 0% BT offer from C-1 last week, it was only good for 6-months, I'll pass on it, 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.