Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One's membership fees

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Capital One's membership fees

What does everyone think of Capital One's membership fees? One of mine is $39.00 and the other is $59.00. I've had the card with teh $39.00 fee for about 3 years. It was my first card when I started rebuilding. Started at $750. and it's up to $6k now.  The other was owned by a company that I'm forgetting now. They were bought buy Cap 1 and transitioned the end of last year. That has a $4500. limit and I anticipate it going to $6k in the next month. 

I'd say they are decent cards. I pay in full, have rewards on the $6k card and can do free balance transfers if I want to. They are the only cards that I have with membership fees. I called to see about having the fees wavied last year but no go. These two cards represent $10,500. of my total $25k in avaialble credit so I rather not cancel them. I guess it comes down to cancel them or deal with it.

Another thing about the fees, easlier this year I called to get the dates that they would be charged. I was told Oct 31st. I wanted to know to make sure I had them paid when the statement closed on the 7th of the month so the statements would close at $0.00 like they alwasy do. Well, they charged me when the statement closed this week so both cards closed with a balance. I wasn't happy about that. I let a balance post on one card and now there will be 3 this month. This is the month that I should see an auto-CLI on one of my Barclay cards and one of the $4500. Cap 1 is due for an increase. I can see me losing some points because of those balances. Might not matter but still. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One's membership fees

I pay no such fees.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you could try for a product change instead of the fee waiver. I just recently switched from quicksilver one with the $39 fee to a regular quicksilver no annual fee.
Message 3 of 22
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Try chat to product change to Quicksilver on both cards. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 22
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've looked at their other cards before.  Drawback to the Quicksilver is there is a 3% balance transfer fee. I use that once in awhile. 

The only cards that I see that I'd be intersted in is the Venture One card. No annual fee and no balance transfer fee. They list that for excellant credit though. Don't know what score they consider excellant but I don't think that I'm there. Just checked their guidelines for excellant and average. I'm average.

One of the Quicksilver rewards cards is listed for excellant credit. That has no annual fee. 12.9-22.9% APR and 3% bal transfer fee. The other is for average credit. That has a $39. fee, 22.9% APR and no bal transfer fee. I don't carry a balance so the APR really doesn't matter. I guess I pay either way. The rewards money that I currently get covers the membership fee.

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you should still ask to see if they'll do the product change to the venture one since it suits your needs. My credit is nowhere near excellent and I still got the product change to quicksilver which requires excellent credit on application. I haven't even had my card a year just yet. Walmart has my TU at 639. The worst they can do is tell you no.
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you successfully pc to ventureone card, you probably wanna change the custom image on the card. I just received my ventureone card, and good god! it's tacky! I thought it was yellow color but nope! it's tacky relfective gold, though I could see it come in handy if you need a mirror for some reason in middle of nowhere. Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 22
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I guess the answer is no if I don't ask so I'll give it a try.  I wonder if I'll get my membership fees back if they do it.  Also, anyone know if it's a hard or soft pull? I believe it's soft. Don't want to take a hard for this.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Soft. My annual fee is due at the end of this month and I just product changed in July or August. The lady I spoke with told me if I get charged they would credit it back to the account. I'm not sure if that works if they've already charged the fee before you've switched.
Message 9 of 22
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

If you ask them, they will tell you the membership fee is for their excellent "customer service".

Not a joke...  for real!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.