cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One's response via FB message...

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Capital One's response via FB message...

I wanted to share my experience with CapOne. I sent them a message via FB as I've heard quite a bit of success utilizing this route. I asked them to consider PC'ing my two recently "upgraded" accounts to accounts without annual fees and simply inquired about combining my credit lines to eliminate even one of the AF's. I've had an HSBC/Orchard account since Nov of 2010 and opened a Platinum card in July 2012. In Dec of 2013, they agreed to PC both cards but when I got them, they were QuickSilver Ones but carried over the Orchard AF of $79 and kept the $19 AF of the Platinum. Since opening both accounts, I've improved my credit by leaps and bounds and qualify for better cards. I mentioned that I would like my cards to grow with me. Here's their response copied and pasted straight from FB with my first name edited for privacy and the initials of the person responding X'ed out:

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us, XXXXXX. We definitely understand wanting cards that will grow with you. Since the annual fee is a part of the terms and conditions, typically, we cannot waive the fee unless the account was closed. At this point in time, we do not have a way to combine credit lines either. If you are interested in requesting a credit limit increase to maximize spending power, you may submit your request online at www.capitalone.com by logging in with your username and password to click "Services" for "Request a Credit Line Increase". From there you'll be able to submit your financial situation for review. XX

I'm not sure I really understand the "waive the fee unless the account was closed" part unless they are saying, "if you don't want an annual fee, close your accounts". Having a Discover IT card and dealing with some of the best customer service in the industry, I think I'll close these. They are my oldest revolving accounts and account for 2 of my 3 revolving accounts but I don't see these cards going anywhere. I just paid them both off and once they report same, I plan to pull the trigger on a Freedom and one other card to replace them and I think I'm done. I do greatly appreciate them giving me the opportunity to build my revolving history but their level of customer service just don't work for me anymore.

Thoughts?

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Bury

Re: Capital One's response via FB message...

Contact executive office and get those fees waived. You have been with them much longer than I have. I have no doubts the EO well be your best bet. They are MUCH better service than normal CSRs.
Gardening until 2015 - Last app 2/10/2014

Goal Score: 780+

Wallet - American Express BCE | Discover It Student | Citi Forward Student | Capital One Secured Platinum MC (Annual Fee Waived)

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Bury wrote:
Contact executive office and get those fees waived. You have been with them much longer than I have. I have no doubts the EO well be your best bet. They are MUCH better service than normal CSRs.

+1 if you want to keep the card.

I burned a Cap-1 last month on 1 opened 01/11 because they would not waive the fee and I did not go the  EO route (didnt need the 2750 CL anymore), I have one more left an HSBC convert (an absurd 900 CL) that comes due in May for the AF, I will burn it as well if they dont waive the fee. The cap-1s were my oldest and lowest CLs of all my bankcards. Just last month I obtained 22k in new credit so the loss of less than 4K is no biggie...

Message 3 of 6
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

The E.O has been known to waive fees for a year but rarely remove them entirely unless it's PCed to the visa QS card. (I have not been able to get any AF removed on my 3 QSO cards)

Message 4 of 6
hyp0luxa
Regular Contributor

The EO permanently removed my AF, less than a month after I was 'upgraded' to Quicksilver One. I used the e-mail route.

Last TL/HP 7/29/2015 | Gardening till December 2015 at least...
AMEX PRG - NPSL | NASA Cash Rewards - 30k | NFCU Cash Rewards VS - 25k | AMEX Everyday - 18k |
Chase CSP 16.8k | BOA 3-2-1 VS - 12k | Fidelity AMEX - 12k | Citi Dividend - 11.3k | Barclays Sallie Mae WMC - 10k | PayPal Extras MC - 7.5k | WalMart MC- 7.5k | Cap1 QS One - 6k | Barclays Apple Visa - 5.7k | Chase Freedom VS - 5k
Message 5 of 6
chan85
Established Contributor

Man I was just hoping they were combining lines by now. I have 3 cards since they bought my old Orchard Bank and I honestly would like to combine all the lines into my oldest account just for simplicity. I feel like I have too many cards now, but don't want to close them and lose that available credit. Well, hopefully they change this in the next few months. Not planning to apply for my next card until the summer (Sallie Mae mastercard) but want those lines combined first. 

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.