Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One secured CC question

tag
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Capital One secured CC question

Will they offer me a card if I had a CC with them a few years ago that was sent to collections?  I'm about to pay it off with the CA, was wondering if they blacklist or anything.

Currently i have a secured CC with a CreditUnion..Fico score is 600

Thanks a bunch

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One secured CC question

Do the pre-qual first and see if you are offered a card... I know capital one forgives and I'm not sure how it works... I was denied both regular card and secured card because i have a cap 1 charge off on my reports right now.... however my friend has almost the identical amount as charge off on his reports right now and was just approved for their standard platinum $300 limit and his scores are WAY lower then mine... so who knows... it's all done by computer and there is no recon it and they pull all 3... so if they don't offer you a card i probably wouldn't bother applying

Message 2 of 16
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Hmm.. anyone else I should try doing a prequal on? Anyone else know if they blacklist?

Message 3 of 16
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@xlr8d wrote:

Hmm.. anyone else I should try doing a prequal on? Anyone else know if they blacklist?

Not many sites have the pre-qualifyer any longer. The ones that come to mind are Discover, Amex, Cap One, and HSBC (i think has a pre-qualifyer). Discover and Amex I believe your scores are low to qualify. 

You can try them and see if anything comes up, just make sure they say pre-approved. If says recommended cards I would just pass and not bother applying.

All the pre-qualifyers are soft pulls so no impact on your scores.

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 16
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Cap 1 doesn't blacklist. I  had card a cap 1 student visa when i was a high school senior/frosh in college. It was charged off in 2002. Fast Foward to 2010 and 2011 a secured card and a no hassle rewards card from cap 1. 

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692

Message 5 of 16
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Think they would do a secured card with a charge-off from 07?  Don't want an inq for no reason.. Just want 1 more secured card

I did the prequal and there was no preapproved offers.. but "recommended" and "others" came up.

Message 6 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@xlr8d wrote:

Think they would do a secured card with a charge-off from 07?  Don't want an inq for no reason.. Just want 1 more secured card

I did the prequal and there was no preapproved offers.. but "recommended" and "others" came up.

I would not risk it and take the hit for 3 inq's.

I thought the pre-qual would also offer secured card if you had a chance of approval

Message 7 of 16
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

If my memory serves me right. If you do the pre-qual and you don't get a pre-qual offer it will say  we "recommend"  this product or It will automatically redirect you to apply/sign up for the secured card which is how I found out that cap 1 even had one. After I got the secured card In june/july. I used it spairingly for about 6 month and then I did the pre-qual again at the begining of the year and I ended up getting no hassle rewards card.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692

Message 8 of 16
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Should I just go with a Public Savings card? or try the cap1 and roll the dice?

Message 9 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would prefer Cap1 over Public Savings... that does not unsecure

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.