cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One secured to unsecured questions

tag
MNSoxChief102

Capital One secured to unsecured questions

I've had my Capital One secured card for about two years now, with the past year having zero lates and paying off my balance in full each month. Thinking about applying for an unsecured card with them as they won't graduate my secured to unsecured, but I'm hesitating on it since I'd prefer to limit any hard inquiries right now. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on how they pull for existing customers applying for an additional card? Also, if anyone has had success in doing what I'm trying to do, I would appreciate any input you can offer (credit limit granted, etc.)

Thanks!

Starting Score: EQ: 613 TU: 626 EX: 586 -- Jan 2014
Goal Score: All at 720 or better

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One secured to unsecured questions

@MNSoxChief102 wrote:

I've had my Capital One secured card for about two years now, with the past year having zero lates and paying off my balance in full each month. Thinking about applying for an unsecured card with them as they won't graduate my secured to unsecured, but I'm hesitating on it since I'd prefer to limit any hard inquiries right now. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on how they pull for existing customers applying for an additional card? Also, if anyone has had success in doing what I'm trying to do, I would appreciate any input you can offer (credit limit granted, etc.)

Thanks!

I had my secured card for about six months and apped for the QSO. Same old Cap1 triple pull.

Message 2 of 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

They will pull all three credit reports. Why don't you try pre-approval sites for amex, discover, chase, etc....?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 7
MNSoxChief102

I had my secured card for about six months and apped for the QSO. Same old Cap1 triple pull.

Thanks. I had a feeling they would pull all three. Think I'm going to wait a bit and just let it ride with my secured card for the time being. Wish they had a way to at least apply for a CLI since I pay on time and pay off my balance every month.

Starting Score: EQ: 613 TU: 626 EX: 586 -- Jan 2014
Goal Score: All at 720 or better

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@MNSoxChief102 wrote:

Thanks. I had a feeling they would pull all three. Think I'm going to wait a bit and just let it ride with my secured card for the time being. Wish they had a way to at least apply for a CLI since I pay on time and pay off my balance every month.

They do. Sign into your Cap1 Account and search for the credit limit increase request.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 5 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

Only way you can increase a secured with Cap 1 is to add more funds to your deposit. Some have gotten lucky and received a unsecured increase of $100

Message 6 of 7
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

App for something besides Cap1, dont make the same mistake I did. I got stuck with an unsecured card with a lower limit than my secured. My theory is they dont want to give you a new limit higher than the secured to prevent you from closing it bc its free money for them. Almost ever other lender is just gonna do a single pull. Can I ask why you want to limit your HP's? Unless you are apping for a mortgage soon then there is not much of a reason. If you are apping for a mortgage I would advise having more than 1 tradeline open. 2 years is a long time to hold onto a secured card, most people obtain other cards and close it after the first year.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.