Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One steps program

tag
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Capital One steps program

So I know I'm in the Capital One Steps program - I'm definatly rebuilding my credit no question about that.

When I first opened the card; I had it for a month before I had to move. First month was paid in full. second month had some charges. I did the online update of info (address)and  I guess it wasn't soon enough as they had already sent my 2nd month's statement to my old address. After a while I never got the bill. Didn't think about it all since I was just getting settled and then the third billig cycle ended recieved the bill for that new charges plus past due - recieved it at my new address. Saw the past due amount and went "oh crap" and paid it off all in full plus the late fee/interest. 

I was on time/paid in full the first cycle and then late the second but then on time every other month since.

I was told when I was in the steps program that I would recieve a CLI to my "preapproved" level and it would be instituted on the 7th billing cycle as I made all payments on time. If I missed a payment it would be on the 10th billing cycle as long as all payments are on time.

i'm trying to build it up and obviously the 30 days late is a hiccup but I've now had the card for 10 full billing months. I called and asked about a CLI and was given the "your account is not avaialble for that now" response as well as the letter they sent me said the same thing "your account is not available to be reviewed for a CLI at this time..." so my question is should I expect this auto increase but not until I have had 10 consecutive ontime payments? or should I have gotten it since I had the account for 10 full billing cycles and 9 of which were on time as well as PIF in which case a backdoor call would be in order?

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One steps program

If you made a late payment then you may no longer be elligible for the credit steps program.

Look at the credit steps letter for details - it should be available in your online documents.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 11
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

All I have online is a write up that matches the same letter they sent me in the mail when I first opened the card - nothing else saying i've been removed fromt the program (its date is also the same date as they letter they sent me in the mail)

in that letter it states "if you miss one payment you will recieve the increase after the 10th billing cycle" but doesn't specify anything else any further.

Message 3 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Once you missed a payment, you drop out of the program. You missed the chance for CLI. At least that's what my credit step letter says.

I don't mean to poke at you, but shouldn't you just pay the bill online instead of waiting the mail during your moving?

Message 4 of 11
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Should have, could have, would have. everything in the past is always 20/20.

I've since learned the mistake and downloaded the iPhone app and check my accounts daily (as well as make payments as soon as something posts)

If I've been removed from the program isn't that going against the letter that they sent me outlining the program and wouldn't they have to send me a new letter stating so?

Perhaps I should just open a new account and start over if this one will never mature past a $300 CL

Message 5 of 11
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

OP, always good to learn from your mistakes.  Your next mistake from what I am seeing is you closing and re-opening up the same account (this puts another INQ on your record and drops your age).  There are a few reasons why the increse doesn't matter: 1) Keep the $300 limit at 0 and your UTI is 0%. 2)Card will NEVER get past the 700-1k limit (I got in the steps program before getting my 5k/7.5k cards from my CU).  Having 2-3 credit cards will also help your credit score to go up.  It takes time to get cards, and you would just be going backwards even more by closing/re-opneing this account.  GL on your journey!!!

Message 6 of 11
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

Oh and they 99.9% of the time do not PC you, so I am keeping mine in my wallet for a few years (some how I get no AF) since it is helping build my age on my accounts.

Message 7 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@skyisthelimit wrote:

Oh and they 99.9% of the time do not PC you, so I am keeping mine in my wallet for a few years (some how I get no AF) since it is helping build my age on my accounts.

This. I also got no AF, so no matter how good my credit gets, I will always keep my Cap1 card. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 8 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would be more concerned with the 30 day negative reporting on my CR's than a CLI. Have you checked your reports?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 11
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

t

@LS2982 wrote:
I would be more concerned with the 30 day negative reporting on my CR's than a CLI. Have you checked your reports?

yes I have and yes they are reporting it - showing up on all 3 Smiley Sad

also someone said about closing the account : I never closed this account, nor will I figured open up a second one with them yes I'll get a HP for a new card however with this card right now, I'm not going to be going anywhere fast with that 30 days late on the books for a while. I might as well get a second card and start the "steps program" all over if they don't increase any time soon.

This card is not only a rewards card (not the greatest rewards but a heck of a lot better than using my debit card!) and no AF ever so I'll never close it - ever was just hoping it would eventually bump itself up so I didn't have to wait years upon years just to be able to get something over a $300 CL 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.