cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One still issuing cards without EMV chips?

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Capital One still issuing cards without EMV chips?

Wondering if anyone else is having issues getting new cards?

I recently upgraded my Platinum to a Quicksilver One and assumed I would be getting a new card with an EMV chip.

Nope. Got the standard Quicksilver One card. Logged into the chat, and explained to the rep that now I will have to update all of my recurring payments and stored card numbers twice. Insert standard response about how Capital One is in the process of replacing all cards by the end of 2015. Try to explain to the rep that this isn't a replacement for an existing card, but rather a new one. She apologized for the inconveinence.  Smiley Frustrated

What's funny is that my older Quicksilver One actually shows a card image with an EMV chip, but I haven't received a replacement card for that either. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One still issuing cards without EMV chips?

I changed my image on my card recently because capital one sent me a bent up card. It actually looked like somebody was tampering with my mail.

Anyways I changed it back to the regular quicksilver image but they didn't send me a card with a chip. The rep told me the same thing. Super annoying because it's my everyday card and fraud is high in my area.
Message 2 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I would suggest blurring out the digits in your screen shot. Just a suggestion. But to answer your question no EMV for myself or partner still. He applied like right before they offered it. So he literally just missed the chips.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 11
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
I would suggest blurring out the digits in your screen shot. Just a suggestion. But to answer your question no EMV for myself or partner still. He applied like right before they offered it. So he literally just missed the chips.

Not too worried. You need the CVV, expiration date and the rest of the card number to do any damage Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recieved my Discover it card after applying for it last week.  Came without the chip.  I talked to them online and said they'll send me one with a chip.  If they already have the chip version available I don't understand why they didn't just send that.  Strange.

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I changed my image on my card recently because capital one sent me a bent up card. It actually looked like somebody was tampering with my mail.

Anyways I changed it back to the regular quicksilver image but they didn't send me a card with a chip. The rep told me the same thing. Super annoying because it's my everyday card and fraud is high in my area.

Fraud may be high, but do most retailers have EMV readers?   If not, the chip isn't really providing extra security locally

Message 6 of 11
Marths
Contributor

What he said. ^

I have not found a single place that accepts EMV chips. Almost everywhere I go has the reader, but none of them work. 

265k FHA Home Loan @ 2.65%
19k Cap1 Auto Loan @ 2.65%

March 2019 - CK(TU-609, EQ-632),EX-590
May 2020 - CK (TU-673, EQ-666), EX-651
January 2022 - CK(TU-727, EQ-726),EX-704
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we have EMV readers. My area has been by skimmers hard the last few months so everyone has been adjusting and taking precautions.

I live in touristy area and most of my customers are international travelers. The majority of them have chips in their cards anyways.
Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why merchant are waiting until the last possible minute (oct) to implement these systems.. You are going to have to take the hit one day or another and the chances or all these systems being active by October are becoming more slim as most likely there will be short of supply and the merchant will be responsible if I understand how the resposiblilites is written...  Think more would want to get on board sooner then later.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know why it's taking so long for debit cards to get chips in them since they are hit the hardest. In my area at least. I keep telling everyone to just a credit card because most people have them but they insist on using their debit. It's annoys the crap out of me when I'm in line at the grocery store and I see somebodies wallet laid out and they have a freedom (last quarter) and BC and pay with their debit.

One of my customers card was comprised and she had 20,000 in her checking. It was really hard not to comment.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.