Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One total credit limit?

tag
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Capital One total credit limit?

Does anyone know if Capital One has a "total credit limit" they will give you between all open accounts with them?

I ask because I have a QS ($10K limit) and I'm an AU on my girlfriend's Venture ($30K limit) bringing my overall limit to them to $40K... I'm thinking of applying for another card with them, just didn't know if they had a "cap" as to how much available credit you could have with them.

I don't want my new card to have a small SL because of the big limits on my other cards.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
9 REPLIES 9
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One total credit limit?

I don't think being an AU is counted against your total exposure , maybe someone else can chime in. But ultimately you are not responsible as an AU so idk how they could
Count that
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe the $30k account will count against you as you're just the AU. Did you try the pre app screen? How long have you had your individual account with them for? How are your scores, util etc...

Message 3 of 10
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

I can't confirm, because I was JUST added as an AU, so it hasn't reported yet to the bureaus yet. But I did read somewhere that an AU gets the credit limit associated with that account added to their overall available credit in their profile.
Like I said, I can't confirm tho. I would imagine if this were true, Cap1 would consider the CL yours as well.

Idk..... That's why I'm here 😊👍🏼
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 4 of 10
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't believe the $30k account will count against you as you're just the AU. Did you try the pre app screen? How long have you had your individual account with them for? How are your scores, util etc...

I haven't tried the pre app screen... I've had my individual account with them for only 2 months (itchy app finger).

My scores are all between 790 & 810. Util is ALWAYS below 5%... currently it's at 2%.

Like I stated above, I THINK the CL on my AU account will be counted towards my overall credit limit, but can't know for sure. 

I'm hoping someone that's an AU will chime in and give their experience. 

Cheers!

837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cashbackjunky wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't tried the pre app screen... I've had my individual account with them for only 2 months (itchy app finger).

My scores are all between 790 & 810. Util is ALWAYS below 5%... currently it's at 2%.

Like I stated above, I THINK the CL on my AU account will be counted towards my overall credit limit, but can't know for sure. 

I'm hoping someone that's an AU will chime in and give their experience. 

Cheers!

Those are two different things! You originally asked if it would go against your total credit with CapOne. Yes it will show on your credit report with the high credit of $30k but you as the AU, but I don't believe internally with CapOne it will count against you with total credit they would be willing to give you.

Unfortunately, there is only way to find out if you have reached your max internally with CapOne. I wouldn't think you have being you only have a $10k card with them individually. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you won't be able to get another card with CapOne anyway as you've only have the current for two months. You'll have to wait I believe it's 6 months with CapOne off the top of my head.

Message 7 of 10
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Those are two different things! You originally asked if it would go against your total credit with CapOne. Yes it will show on your credit report with the high credit of $30k but you as the AU, but I don't believe internally with CapOne it will count against you with total credit they would be willing to give you.

That's great news! I hope it's true... I did mention above that an AU reports to the credit bureaus and that I IMAGINE Cap1 would consider it my overall CL, like the bureaus, but that I wasn't sure...

You referenced "the total credit they would be willing to give you"

Do you know if that's a fixed number or if it depends on income, creditworthiness etc... Or if Cap1 even has a total credit limit?

Cheers!

837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 8 of 10
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, you won't be able to get another card with CapOne anyway as you've only have the current for two months. You'll have to wait I believe it's 6 months with CapOne off the top of my head.

Ahhh yes, you are absolutely correct sir! I totally forgot about that newish policy! 

I guess this app will have to wait another 4 months. 

I still want to know if anyone KNOWS for sure if cap1 has an overall CL and if AU's are calculated into the CL.

Cheers!

837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cashbackjunky wrote:

That's great news! I hope it's true... I did mention above that an AU reports to the credit bureaus and that I IMAGINE Cap1 would consider it my overall CL, like the bureaus, but that I wasn't sure...

You referenced "the total credit they would be willing to give you"

Do you know if that's a fixed number or if it depends on income, creditworthiness etc... Or if Cap1 even has a total credit limit?

Cheers!

It would depend upon you! You have great scores, not sure what your income is but unfortunately you'll have to wait to get another card from CapOne since you just got yours two months ago. Lots of other excellent cc companies though! Discover, Amex, Chase it just all depends what kind of card you're looking for!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.