Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One.. um.

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Capital One.. um.

I'd get my increase on my card in March cause of the credit steps program. I was also trying to see if they could just get rid of the annual fee or upgrade my card to a card without a fee. He said I was elligiblle for the Quicksilver one with the fee. Then the guy I talked to said if I wanted a card without a fee to just apply for another one of their cards and then I tried requesting an increase and got a notification that they'd mail their decision to me or whatever. He said if I don't want an increase to just ignore the letter and it wouldn't account against my credit history. So helpful. Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One.. um.

Ok so I'm confused, maybe you can clarify. If you're in the credit steps program, why are you trying to get the CLI now? The letter he is mentioning probably is a auto denial because there's not enough history with them.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 9
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Ok so I'm confused, maybe you can clarify. If you're in the credit steps program, why are you trying to get the CLI now? The letter he is mentioning probably is a auto denial because there's not enough history with them.

Because $500 is a baby limit considering the cards I just got approved for. And because I want that fee gone. 

Message 3 of 9
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

While I understand your point - why is Capital one just going to approve you for a higher CL?... - you couldn't even argue that their CL is "a baby limit" verus your other ones when your 3,000 freedom and 4,000 discover hasn't even reported yet - in fact if you have them pull your CR now, they could AA you if they wanted (not that they would, but they have every right).

Have you gone the EO route? If so, either cancel the card or deal with it for a few more months and try again, or if not, try the EO.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 9
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

While I understand your point - why is Capital one just going to approve you for a higher CL?... - you couldn't even argue that their CL is "a baby limit" verus your other ones when your 3,000 freedom and 4,000 discover hasn't even reported yet - in fact if you have them pull your CR now, they could AA you if they wanted (not that they would, but they have every right).

Have you gone the EO route? If so, either cancel the card or deal with it for a few more months and try again, or if not, try the EO.

I'll probably just deal with it. Smiley Wink I have nicer things now and I'll just keep that one cause it's in good standing. And maybe in the future that card will become a better one.

Message 5 of 9
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

Because $500 is a baby limit considering the cards I just got approved for. And because I want that fee gone. 

contact the eo to get quicksliver and fee gone. Let the credit steps take its course a sometimes people get way more then they think

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

How long have you had the Cap1 card?  If it's only been 2-3 months I wouldn't expect anything.

While I am in by no means a Crap1 cheerleader, you ultimately applied for and got one of their lower tier cards which comes with a clearly disclosed Annual Fee.  For all the success stories of their EO granting waivers and increases, there are probably an equal number that didn't end so happily - and those are individuals who have had accounts for 2+ years stuck at toy limits.

Message 7 of 9
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

How long have you had the Cap1 card?  If it's only been 2-3 months I wouldn't expect anything.

While I am in by no means a Crap1 cheerleader, you ultimately applied for and got one of their lower tier cards which comes with a clearly disclosed Annual Fee.  For all the success stories of their EO granting waivers and increases, there are probably an equal number that didn't end so happily - and those are individuals who have had accounts for 2+ years stuck at toy limits.

@B335is wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

5 months now. I'll wait and see what the limit is in March. 

Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

While the EO is a useful tool, it's not always necessary or appropriate when the lender has laid out steps inorder to achieve a CLI.

When you app for a cc and the AF is clearly part of the T&Cs , I don't understand why ask for a fee waiver.  

There are and have been cases where clis were not the norm and Cap1's behavior in handling these requests left a bad taste in their customers' mouths and rightfully so, further intervention was warranted. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.