Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One vs the "Big League" rewards cards

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One vs the "Big League" rewards cards

@sccredit wrote:

Understood.  I just can't see apping for another card, taking 3 inq's for it just to get a similar limit to what they just CLI'd me to.  I would probably do an inquiry on 1 report for the PC if they would do it, not all 3 for a new card.

I don't get why people have such a problem with the three inquiries. It is not like they are all on the same report. They probably do it because each report can widely differ. There are multiple people on here who say that a negative is only showing on one or two of the reports and the other one(s) is/are clean. I think they have some really good cards for people who have good credit. The Venture gives 2% back in the form of travel, the Cash rewards gives 1.5% which is almost the highest for a Visa, and the Spark gives 2% cashback on everything, which is pretty good.I plan to apply for them sometime next year so the inquiries I have can age.

Also all issuers do not do product changes. Barclays usually does not, and Chase will not change a co-branded card to one with just the Chase name. Anyway, I do not think it is that big a deal to have to apply to get a new card instead of just changing the card. To each their own, but I think Capital One is right up there with Chase and PNC.

I do not want to tell you how to spend your rewards, but usually if you use points for merchandise you are getting ripped off.

Message 11 of 21
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I keep mine for the no forex fees. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Who has the best rewards anyway? I've only really used Capital One rewards twice and it was actually pretty decent despite having a crap card...LOL.

Used my points toward a $50 Target gift card. Got it in 2 days of redeeming my points. And a statement credit the following day.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 13 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
Well said.

I can't see myself SDing a 10k card tho Smiley Happy

I don't think I could either. Plus I love cap1...by far my favorite card, and the lender that has been best to me so far Smiley Very Happy I'll be getting bumped to $3500 in 1-2 months and then after 6 months I'll request a real CLI Smiley Tongue And if I have to go through the exec office I will, the cash rewards card is great, especially with no AF Smiley Very Happy 

Understood.  I just can't see apping for another card, taking 3 inq's for it just to get a similar limit to what they just CLI'd me to.  I would probably do an inquiry on 1 report for the PC if they would do it, not all 3 for a new card.

Yeah 3 the HPs is a little bit annoying, but I got my cap1 to build, so I knew I was gonna end up with a lot of inquiries anyways, the only reason I even apped for the cap1 plat is because I got a mail pre-approval offer with no AF, and then they PCd me to cash rewards. I wouldn't have applied for capital one otherwise because they had just denied me for their secured card a couple months earlier. 

When you really think about it though, the 3 HPs aren't THAT bad...they go away with time. 

CAP1 denied a secured card? WTH! I didn't think they did that!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 14 of 21
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Well first of all you werent the first one to start a thread about contacting the executive office. And idk why people hate on Cap1, especially if you know what they are and how they are going to handle there business. Be happy they gave you the CLI. Dont feel entitled. I bet you have a great credit portfolio why not get a different card?

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 15 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Yes maiden,

They denied me for a secured card, so I was like "oh...I guess I'll get the orchard secured" and before I ever even did it (i procrastinate) cap1 sent me an offer for a plat mc no af and approved me for 3k, i was happy :-D

Then they pc'd me to cash rewards (no exec office needed) and I was happier since it still had no AF

#Cap1sSecretLover
Message 16 of 21
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I also really like my Cap 1 Cash Rewards Siggy Visa.

1. Good online website.

2. US Based Customer Service.

3. Nice rewards program (1.5%)

4. Easy to redeem rewards.

If I cannot get a better reward depending on the spend, this is the card I swipe.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 17 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Oooo, ray, we seem to have different results on #2 there. Only time I've ever had US customer service from them was the exec office.

Everyone else was....not American xD
Message 18 of 21
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Oooo, ray, we seem to have different results on #2 there. Only time I've ever had US customer service from them was the exec office.

Everyone else was....not American xD

I have called them 4 times now for different reasons (not CLI), and each time, very nice US based person to deal with.

Not sure, maybe Siggy level get's different Reps? I do not know this. All I can say is my experience has been very good with them.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 19 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I think you guys may get different CSRs for the prime cards. Anytime I have called (except when I spoke with the rewards department to see if I could get the welcome bonus) it has been someone from a different country with an extremely stereotypical american name.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.