Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One will not CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One will not CLI?

Good day all.

Let me start off by saying I have been rebulding my credit for the last 2.5 years after i went through a divorce. My score has gone up about 200 points. Capital 1 was the first credit card I got after my credit recovered enough. They gave me a $500 Platium Card. Long story short is I have called C1 a few times and keep trying to get a CLI. I just applied for a Chase Disney Rewards and was approved for $3,000. C1 wont go any higher than $750. The C1 card is only 16 months old. What should I do?

EQ: 660

TU: 666

EX: 673

$3,000 Chase Disney

$3,500 Amazon Prime

$3,900 Military Star

$7,000 Home Depot

$750 Cap One...

Credit Utilization is at 11.4%

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One will not CLI?

I don't have personal experience with his, but I've read that if you get a CapOne with a low score they throw you in a specific bucket for people with bad credit. Later, even if your score improves you won't be able to get a CLI because you're still in the bucket you started in. I don't think there is anything you could do to get a CLI on this card. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe you will have to SD that card and apply for a new one. I've heard this happening a lot from C1. 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

SD?
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sock drawer Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

SD card and apply for a new card with C1.  After 6 months request a CLI on the new card and if approved request a card combination (must be 0.00 bal) and the newest card will be closed and the CL will be moved to the 1st card. This is the only way I've been able to get any type of increase with C1. Be careful since this is a work around and not sure how they will respond.and it does affect you average age of account. I've done this twice so far.  Started with a CL of 300 and finally up to 3500.   Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

if cap1 was your rebuild card they put you on a credit steps plan.. you get your first CLI at 5 months and then every 6 months... and you can ONLY get them every 6 months, believe me i know... and it has to be exactly 6 months.. my 6 month was yesterday, i tried to request on friday 9/9 and they said it was too early and cust service chat told me its automated and they can't override it.....and it's a $500 increase and thats it

Message 7 of 16
yfan
Valued Contributor

It's not always the case that CapOne won't give you a good limit if you started at a lower one. I can say this from personal experience. I did start my rebuilt with a $750 CapOne card and without account combo it had grown to $3500 in a year and a half or so.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice.. totally jealous! LOL

Message 9 of 16
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Definitely sock drawer it. Mine is going in the SD. And now, I can't even recommend getting a Cap One card unless you just want them for some reason. I know they are kinder to rebuilders than some majors but once you start getting other credit, I can't justify their triple pull.

I got CO 2/2016 $300 each on Platinum and QS1. Got a cli then credit steps in August 2016. I combined the two accounts February 2017 after a denied CLI request. I've since been denied two additional times. They are going in the SD now that I have the 2% PayPal card for everyday spend. 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.