Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One will not budge....

tag
msaigh
New Contributor

Capital One will not budge....

So here’s my Capital One story. I have 2 cards, the Quicksilver Visa & Venture. After talking to CSR every 90 days for the past year, they will not budge on my APR. 6 months ago I stop using these cards as everyday cards, and placed a recurring monthly charge on them. I paid the balance in full each month. I know conventional wisdom states to stick the cards in a sock draw and forget about them. I believe I’m passed that. I no longer want to be in business with Capital One and I’m thinking of closing both accounts. Closing the accounts will not harm my credit utilization which is currently at 2%. I know this will hurt my Age of Open Accounts with Vantagescore 3 & FAKO scores, but I don’t care since it will not harm my Age of All Accounts, for 10 years, which FICO uses. Did I miss any negatives? Is this a bad idea? I look forward to your comments

TU 798 / 1 INQ, EQ 794 / 1 INQ, EX 789 / 7 INQ, AAoA 3.7 years as of 2016-07-12
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One will not budge....

@msaigh wrote:

So here’s my Capital One story. I have 2 cards, the Quicksilver MC World & Venture One MC. After talking to CSR every 90 days for the past year, they will not budge on my APR. 6 months ago I stop using these cards as everyday cards, and placed a recurring monthly charge on them. I paid the balance in full each month. I know conventional wisdom states to stick the cards in a sock draw and forget about them. I believe I’m passed that. I no longer want to be in business with Capital One and I’m thinking of closing both accounts. Closing the accounts will not harm my credit utilization which is currently at 2%. I know this will hurt my Age of Open Accounts with Vantagescore 3 & FAKO scores, but I don’t care since it will not harm my Age of All Accounts, for 10 years, which FICO uses. Did I miss any negatives? Is this a bad idea? I look forward to your comments

Banish them to hades!

Message 2 of 29
core
Valued Contributor

Since you're not carrying a balance on those cards, why does the APR even matter?  Or is this some kind of game to play with Cap One, make up some demand and leave in a huff if they don't give it to you?  I've certainly got no love for them, if you don't need the 1.5% on the QS then I'd flush them down the toilet.  But that's because they are a crappy company, not because they won't give you whatever you ask for.

Message 3 of 29
msaigh
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply core. 

It’s not a game, I’ve had enough with their business practices. One of the cards I’ve had since 2006 with no change in APR and no Auto CLI. These cards have an APR of 22.99%. The APR’s on my remaining cards are as follows: 8.15%, 10.99%, 11.99%, 12.99%,13.99%,15.99%. and I have had a FICO score above 740 for the last 24 months. You are right, It should not matter to me because I do not pay interest on any of my cards. It’s just that Capital One has never been easy to work with. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Message 4 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Then it sounds like your mind is made up and just end the relationship.  If the product or company is no longer offering much in the sense of a mutual benefit, then close the CCs.  Of course, not every lender will work for everyone.  I, on the other hand, have had no issues with Capital One.

Message 5 of 29
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Have you tried contacting the Executive Office? I noticed that you only talked to the CSR. These people actually have authority to make changes in your accounts that the regular CSRs can't make. I had a Quicksilver at 22.9% and after talking to them I was able to get it down to 18%.

Message 6 of 29
ddemari
Super Contributor

Sometimes when cards are converted from other products, not sure if your qs wmc was a different product before or not but csr's and even backdoor people can't budge on the cards apr/ terms. Ive only had it done through eo channels. Not worh the hoops unless u would benefit or just want the satisfaction.
Message 7 of 29
msaigh
New Contributor

FinStar. I'm using the comunity as a sounding board. I have not 100% made up my mind, but I'm close. I'm just looking for some insight from the group as to the good & bad before going forward with this. Thanks for the reply.

Message 8 of 29
msaigh
New Contributor

jace8602, I should not have to use the Executive Office. Front line customer service should have the power to do this. That's why I love freedom of choice. I've never had to jump through hoops with American Express, Discover, or Chase. Thanks for the reply.

Message 9 of 29
Aarvard
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@msaigh wrote:

So here’s my Capital One story. I have 2 cards, the Quicksilver MC World & Venture One MC. After talking to CSR every 90 days for the past year, they will not budge on my APR. 6 months ago I stop using these cards as everyday cards, and placed a recurring monthly charge on them. I paid the balance in full each month. I know conventional wisdom states to stick the cards in a sock draw and forget about them. I believe I’m passed that. I no longer want to be in business with Capital One and I’m thinking of closing both accounts. Closing the accounts will not harm my credit utilization which is currently at 2%. I know this will hurt my Age of Open Accounts with Vantagescore 3 & FAKO scores, but I don’t care since it will not harm my Age of All Accounts, for 10 years, which FICO uses. Did I miss any negatives? Is this a bad idea? I look forward to your comments

Banish them to hades!

Yup. Their half-brother Credit One is already down there, so would you be so kind and let them reunite Smiley LOL

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.