Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One will now issue contactless cards by default

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One will now issue contactless cards by default

@Themanwhocan wrote:

One of these days i'll try using my dual interface American Express card again. The problem I had with it, was that if the store had chip transactions disabled, then the wireless would look like it was working, and then fail at the very end, requiring me to swipe the card anyways. So, all of the time delay with none of the extra security.

The wireless only card I used to have, ie with no chip, didn't have that problem. 

I haven't had any issues recently, for what it's worth. Walgreens had issues with the card when they first turned on the chip, though (yet Apple Pay with that same card worked fine).

Message 51 of 57
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

My transactions were both well over $50 and just required a signature. I don't have a PIN and don't recall seeing the option to get one.

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 52 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's likely only going to be a possible option for the "true" chip and PIN cards.
Message 53 of 57
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Being a "Mr. Negative"

Now you will have to keep your cards in an RF shielded case to prevent the

person behind you in line, ya that guy with a portable reader from stealing your info.

Every new technology claims great advances, however most end up with a lot of problems.

I want a card that needs  to be inserted or swiped. (I can give up 20 seconds of my time)

I would request a card without this "feature". If it is not possible,

my CC account would be closing.

+10000000000000000000

"ohhh... I am so lazy that I can't take the time to swipe or insert my card..."

I don't use any form of contactless payment. NFC is disbled on my phone and I would be hard pressed to keep any of my cards should they switch to this. The thieves are out there and if given the chance, they'll steal your info at the drop of a hat!

Furthermore, are people going to be proactive enough to know when they'd be able to use this thing? I hate people who thumb around looking for the 'right card to use'... Pay and move!!!!

That seems hostile.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 54 of 57
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

peking wrote:  EVERY card in the UK is contactless. For UK-issued cards, chip and pin are required for purchases over 50GBP, but under that amount, you can tap and go. As no pin or signature is required, it really is a 2 second transaction. Good to see these secure technologies are making their way over here.

They are not "secure technology's", they are "convenience technology's".

This is to make it more convenient for you to spend your money and get more swipes.

However it also makes it more convenient for a thief.

If you lose your card or it is stolen and you don't know it. It can be used many time before

red flags go up. It does not require pin, id, or signature for small charges.

This easy fraud use, and potential access to personal data without the

physical card means "you are trading a few seconds of your time for less secure technology"

Well, if the thief gets your actual physical card, it does not matter whether it is NFC, has a chip, or just a mag-stripe. Only a very few EMV Chip cards require the PIN on transactions, so your concern applies to all cards that are not Chip+PIN, regardless of NFC/Contactless. My Diners card (made of Unobtainium) allows contactless purchases only up to a certain amount. I has instructed me to insert the card to enter the PIN for authorization for transactions above say $50. I don't know the threshhold but it's not large.

Even if it requires a signiature... yeah, my signature is really seriously checked for authorization when I scrawl on the electronic "signature reader". Not.

Is this something new? I remember being able to use it for >$50 at Walgreens before.

The purchase amount ceiling/floor for requiring a signature is determined/set by the store/retailer.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 55 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gollum wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Being a "Mr. Negative"

Now you will have to keep your cards in an RF shielded case to prevent the

person behind you in line, ya that guy with a portable reader from stealing your info.

Every new technology claims great advances, however most end up with a lot of problems.

I want a card that needs  to be inserted or swiped. (I can give up 20 seconds of my time)

I would request a card without this "feature". If it is not possible,

my CC account would be closing.

+10000000000000000000

"ohhh... I am so lazy that I can't take the time to swipe or insert my card..."

I don't use any form of contactless payment. NFC is disbled on my phone and I would be hard pressed to keep any of my cards should they switch to this. The thieves are out there and if given the chance, they'll steal your info at the drop of a hat!

Furthermore, are people going to be proactive enough to know when they'd be able to use this thing? I hate people who thumb around looking for the 'right card to use'... Pay and move!!!!

That seems hostile.

Not so much when you might think that this is the same kind of person who'll sit there in the drive lane, blocking others trying to leave while waiting for someone to load their groceries in their car and move so they can have a parking spot closer to the door... I'm not that much in a hurry, but come on, really? 

Contactless cards are just one more thing that shows that there are some people that just wanna be "special". I'm just waiting for the day to come along when people get those RFID chips in their hand and wave it at the terminal and it comes back DECLINED. How's that for "special" eh? LoLoL!!!!!

Message 56 of 57
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@MoneyBurns wrote:

The WEMC logo on the card is the old one too for some odd reason as opposed to the new logo. It looks like they glued it on there like the Citi Double Cash, though I'd say the card looks nicer than the DC!!! Smiley Very Happy

You should post a pic, I don't think anyone has of the Premier card yet. Afaik no World Elite Mastercard with the new logo exists in the real world. I'm thinking the finalized logo is in flux otherwise why would banks use the new "world elite" font with the old logo?

Message 57 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.