cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One won't agree to lower payment plan, what would you do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One won't agree to lower payment plan, what would you do?

@yfan wrote:

So let me ask you something. What will happen in six months that will allow you to have no problems making the payments you absolutely cannot make today?

To answer one of your questions, yes they can go after your husband if they want to. Married couples are jointly and separately liable for each partner's debt.

I think they can only go after her husband indirectly.  i.e. if they go after her property and her husband's is a joint owner of the property, then he can get affected that way.

But if the credit card is solely under her name, her husband should not be directly liable.  But I'm not 100% sure on this - this is based on information I received from my lawyer years ago. 

Edit: Actually Community Property states is an exception to what I just stated above.  This is a good read:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/am-i-liable-my-spouses-credit-card-debt.html

Message 11 of 36
PowerMan572
Contributor

In 2010/2011 I could not pay my credit cards. I defaulted on them and the credit card companies agreed to settle for half when they sent my closed account to a collection agency. Not saying you should go this route, but if you can't pay, you don't have to file bankrupcy. There are other ways. 

Message 12 of 36
Diana56
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this something that can possiblity be resolved by calling the Executive Office?

You'd think they'd be more willing to work with you; if you default on the payment, it'll hurt them just as much as it will hurt you.

Where would one find the number for the Executive Office?  How would that be different from calling CS?

Capital One: $10,000 - BOA: $1,500 - PayPal: $2,000 - Amazon: $900

Experian: 698 - Equifax: 700 today! YAY!! - TransUnion: 706
Message 13 of 36
Diana56
New Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Diana56 wrote:

I'm having problems paying the large minimum payment to Cap 1, and have called them to request their cooperation in making small payments for 6 months, until I can get back on my feet.  I should have no problem paying them min. by then.

They're having none of it, and have only offered to take away late fees and something on interest, can't remember exactly what they said on that.

I can NOT pay the min... and not sure what to do at this point.  I need those who are more experienced in this area, to help me out.

I AM going to call again today and see if they'll work with me, but if not, the only thing I can see is to make what I can, and suffer the fallout of them reporting it as a missed payment.   

I truly don't want to go  bankrupt, that's what I'm trying to avoid at all costs.

At this point, all I receive is S.S. and a small amount in the form of a "gift" from my husband.  (we live separate, but still legally married).

I don't see how they can get anything from me, but then I'm not completely sure.  Will they go after my husband, even though we live in separate states, and have not lived together for several years?

Will welcome all ideas on how to get Cap 1 to cooperate with me on this, IF there's a way!  

Thanks everyone,

Diana

It's surprising they even offered this. By any chance, did they refer to it as a hardship interest rate?

+1 very surprising. Jeez. The minimums are that high? I'm sure most is interest. Best to bt. But if that's your only income. Will be tough. Conundrum to say the least. Smiley Sad

Yes, sadly that high ($250-300) 

Message 14 of 36
Diana56
New Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So is this card maxed out??  I assume you are over 20% APR so your payment if maxed are what around 165$ a month in just interest approx.  Deffinetly call them again, they might have some hardship program?  Also as others stated contact the EO as well if you can't get anywhere via the EO as CAP1 has alot to lose in this situation as well if they aren't willing to work with you and you file BK.

Yes, maxed out to the max!!  Sadly, as someone mentioned, my son has  had health issues, and so have I ... I traveled from NY state to Washington state to be with him, therefore the cause of maxing out the CC.

I will be asking about a hardship program next time I call.  I'm not sure of APR, need to check that.

Message 15 of 36
Diana56
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would lie about the reason for the crisis, and make up some medical emergency of someone close to you that you just had to help and divert funds.  HOWEVER, I would also go medieval on myself in terms of cutting my expenses, making it very painful and uncomfortable on myself in order to get every extra penny I can to get a handle on the situation on the medium and long term.  That's what I would do.

No need to lie about that, since it's the reason I had to max out the card.

Message 16 of 36
Diana56
New Contributor

@yfan wrote:

So let me ask you something. What will happen in six months that will allow you to have no problems making the payments you absolutely cannot make today?

To answer one of your questions, yes they can go after your husband if they want to. Married couples are jointly and separately liable for each partner's debt.

Because I moved from NY state with no furniture, nothing much except for bare neccesities ... and had to use money for the trip, rent, deposit, a few furnishings, help my son buy a couch, as he had nowhere to sleep, etc. etc.  Now that is all done, I can go back to using my SS and alimony, to pay bills, which I'm able to do just about right, when I stick with a budget.

I also had medical expenses here, before my insurance kicked in, and my son needed medication also, that was not covered.  

Message 17 of 36
Diana56
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would lie about the reason for the crisis, and make up some medical emergency of someone close to you that you just had to help and divert funds.  HOWEVER, I would also go medieval on myself in terms of cutting my expenses, making it very painful and uncomfortable on myself in order to get every extra penny I can to get a handle on the situation on the medium and long term.  That's what I would do.

I looked into the OP's previous posts and it appears they are battling some Medical issues of their own.

Yes ... this

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Diana56 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this something that can possiblity be resolved by calling the Executive Office?

You'd think they'd be more willing to work with you; if you default on the payment, it'll hurt them just as much as it will hurt you.

Where would one find the number for the Executive Office?  How would that be different from calling CS?

The EO number is easily findable by Google searching online.  PM me and I can give you more details.  

As for difference between EO and CS - the EO has a lot more "power" and "knowledge" than your typical CS staff.  And CapOne's EO specifically seems to take consumer requests seriously, to ensure customer satisfaction.  My guess is they'll also be more prone to handling a situation like this in a way where they don't get screwed, as I would assume the EO cares much more about losing money than a CS staff member would. 

Message 19 of 36
Diana56
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked into the OP's previous posts and it appears they are battling some Medical issues of their own.

Too bad.  First for the obvious reasons of health.  But, also because if the illness is yours, the bank would consider you have less control about how long it's going to affect your finances AND it makes even more painful and difficult to cut expenses.  Under those circumstances, my revised "what I would do" is:  I would forget about calling now and work hard, for the next few days, on writing a "very well prepared" "moving" letter to their executive office, mail it Friday and hope that the executives come back with the Xmas spirit after the Thanksgiving break...

Hmmmm.... a good idea, but I wonder if it's better than calling them?  

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.