Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One you frustrate me!

tag
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

Capital One you frustrate me!

I have had my Capital One cards for almost a year(4/2015) and I decided that if I am getting approved for cards without an annual fee, why should I keep these cards. I contacted them this morning and explained to the guy that I have other cards without annual fees and didn't see a point to keeping the cards with an annual fee, especially the secured card. I would much rather have the deposit back from my secured card since I have outgrown it and don't use it at all. The guy on chat told me there is nothing he can do for me and was basically very short with me. So, my question is, should I just go ahead and close the secured account with them before the AF hits next month? I plan on keeping the QS1 for a while longer, but am still not happy that they can't waive the AF for me. The secured card is such a small limit $551, I don't think it will have a huge impact on my utilization #'s. If this is in the wrong section, Admins please move! 

Slowly rebuilding, learning as I go, but that's the beauty of learning...You never have to stop!

Current FICO scores: EX: 664 TU: 650 EQ: 668

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One you frustrate me!

@GettingBetter2015 wrote:

I have had my Capital One cards for almost a year(4/2015) and I decided that if I am getting approved for cards without an annual fee, why should I keep these cards. I contacted them this morning and explained to the guy that I have other cards without annual fees and didn't see a point to keeping the cards with an annual fee, especially the secured card. I would much rather have the deposit back from my secured card since I have outgrown it and don't use it at all. The guy on chat told me there is nothing he can do for me and was basically very short with me. So, my question is, should I just go ahead and close the secured account with them before the AF hits next month? I plan on keeping the QS1 for a while longer, but am still not happy that they can't waive the AF for me. The secured card is such a small limit $551, I don't think it will have a huge impact on my utilization #'s. If this is in the wrong section, Admins please move! 

I think that they are limited on what they can do with the secured card. As long as it won't affect your utilization and you have other cards, you should close it. It will stay in your reports for 10 years. As far as the QS1, email the EO and ask them to review your account and see if they can remove the AF. Usually these people have more authority to make changes on your account than frontline reps.

Message 2 of 26
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

I can't seem to find the email for the EO. I knew they weren't going to do anything for the secured card, and I was ok with that I didn't even ask him about the fee on that one. I plan to close it no matter what because I would like to get offers for a better card from Capital One and I think having that card is keeping me from getting more offers. I don't mind AF if it is a card that has better benefits than the QS1 offers me. My BOA 123 rewards are much better for that and add up much quicker with no AF. I also just got the Discover IT card and AmEx BCE card with no AF... I like Capital One, but feel better suited towards one of their better cards. 

Slowly rebuilding, learning as I go, but that's the beauty of learning...You never have to stop!

Message 3 of 26
jacetx
Valued Contributor

I can't seem to find the email for the EO. I knew they weren't going to do anything for the secured card, and I was ok with that I didn't even ask him about the fee on that one. I plan to close it no matter what because I would like to get offers for a better card from Capital One and I think having that card is keeping me from getting more offers. I don't mind AF if it is a card that has better benefits than the QS1 offers me. My BOA 123 rewards are much better for that and add up much quicker with no AF. I also just got the Discover IT card and AmEx BCE card with no AF... I like Capital One, but feel better suited towards one of their better cards. 

I will PM you the email. Also, what better Capital One card do you have in mind? There is only Venture, which you can apply later for it if you are interested in the sign up bonus and can meet the $3k spend, or you can PC to it.

Message 4 of 26
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

It's the Venture I am wanting, I will likely try to PC it once I take care of closing out the secured card and hopefully getting the QS1 annual fee waived... I'll likely wait a few more months after that to try either cold app to hopefully combine limits or a PC to Venture. Though I do have an outstanding app for the Gold Delta SkyMiles AmEx that the rep last night made it sound like the application should go through once I wait 5 days. (I am willing to pay the AF on that one for the benefits it offers) 

Thank you for the PM! 

Message 5 of 26
jacetx
Valued Contributor

It's the Venture I am wanting, I will likely try to PC it once I take care of closing out the secured card and hopefully getting the QS1 annual fee waived... I'll likely wait a few more months after that to try either cold app to hopefully combine limits or a PC to Venture. Though I do have an outstanding app for the Gold Delta SkyMiles AmEx that the rep last night made it sound like the application should go through once I wait 5 days. (I am willing to pay the AF on that one for the benefits it offers) 

Thank you for the PM! 

You are welcome. Good luck!

Message 6 of 26
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Think the EO/XO route is dead from overabuse. If it doesn't pan out, send me a PM, OP.

*edit: your current dilemma is the reason you see why I don't have them in my wallet any longer. Small world, huh? LOL.....

Message 7 of 26
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Think the EO/XO route is dead from overabuse. If it doesn't pan out, send me a PM, OP.

*edit: your current dilemma is the reason you see why I don't have them in my wallet any longer. Small world, huh? LOL.....

Phone route is dead but not email. The abuse came from people calling constantly to make requests such as CLIs that could have been easily handled by frontline reps.

Message 8 of 26
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@jace8602 wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Phone route is dead but not email. The abuse came from people calling constantly to make requests such as CLIs that could have been easily handled by frontline reps.

I've read in the past here that frontline CSR's have been doing the interception as of late. Take it with a grain of salt....

Message 9 of 26
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

I emailed them, so we shall see what comes of it.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.