Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One

tag
dieselcafe
Contributor

Capital One

I applied for a Capital One Platinum Mastercard and was approved for $300. They sent me a letter in the mail 3 weeks after I got the card that if I make my payments on time for 3 months, they will increase my CLI after the 5th statements. Today, I applied for a Platinum Prestige Mastercard and was approved for $500. Should I keep the Platinum card with $300 or should I cancel it? Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One

If it not costing you anything I would just keep it. Meaning no fee's...
Message 2 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Keep the card. Two revolving lines will help rebuild your credit quicker than 1 will.
Message 3 of 7
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Keep both of them.  Call and get a CLI after your 3rd payment posts and you'll still get the one before your 5th statement posts that they mentioned in the credit steps letter.
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 4 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Keep them both. After few months you can ask them to combine both cards thus you can have larger credit limit.
Message 5 of 7
dieselcafe
Contributor

I already made 3 payments in less than 2 months. Can I still call them for CLI or I have to wait for 3 months? I talked to one of the reps at Cap One for CLI last week and he told me that my account is too young to get a CLI.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't just mean 'make three payments and we'll give you a CLI' - they mean that you have to make the payments due on your first three statements on time, and then you'll get it (although it takes a while, it doesn't just appear straight after you've made the payment). Otherwise you could just send them three payments in the first week and sit back and wait for that automatic CLI... which would be nice, but sadly not how they do things! Smiley Happy

I got my Capital One card last September, and the CLI didn't appear until January. But I've since learned from reading on here that it's possible to call and ask for a CLI after you've made that third payment (ie the payment due on the third statement, just not the third payment you ever make to them), and then you'll still get the credit steps auto-CLI as well whenever that's finally triggered.

Message Edited by fevmlo on 07-23-2008 07:25 AM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.