Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One

Hello all, first time poster! myFico member for quite sometime though... I have searched around but am overall unable to find an answer on the forum that is satisfying to me. While Capital One has been overall a really good company and extended me credit while I was brand new to the credit world, trying to grow with them is impossible. Basically it came down to applying for a new card in order to jump to higher limits. My first card was $500 with them, 3 years later and 6x the income, it was still only $850. Positive credit history etc. I've since gotten other cards with limits much higher with other banks, but try to grow this account and I can't. The new card I applied for with them they approved for 3k, but won't move around my limits. I closed other two I had with them ($850 and $750), because I didn't want low limit cards on my credit report. Cap1 wasn't my first card, and I've made sure to keep that open for age history. I'm trying to find someone who will still allow me to keep my total credit (they were extending $4600) with 0% utilization on just one card. Customer service is horrible, and I get 100 different answers from people. It is like I am talking to a machine. Any information or tips on who to call, write etc, would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thank you in advance, and thanks to those of you who have been providing great advice on this forum for a while! Helped me grow my credit profile seriously! Feels good to be 22 and have a $15k limit (Thank you Barclay) on a card, much in thanks to advice I've gotten from members here. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your huge progress in such little time. Seems like you're responsiible and understand the importance of having and keeping a great credit history.

I once was in the same or similiar situation as you but I split ways with CapOne a longgg time ago. If it's age you're worried about keep in mind that your account will continue to report to all three credit bureaus for an addtional 10 years after it is closed.

Try contacting the EO office if you're set on keeping this card (hopefully someone will have the info to share with you).

Or ref to this thread Back Door Numbers.

Good luck!

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 2 of 5
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Check your PM

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried the backdoor numbers, nothing Smiley Sad tried online chat today, but can't get anywhere. Asked time and time again for phone number from them to corporate, useless. I may part ways but I'm frustrated. Currently I really wanted citi card, but I didn't get approved. Kind of went on a spree here in last two weeks wanting a new card, started with amex too. They are so stringent. Account age. Amazing. Now I have injuries for nothing. It's so tricky. Oh well. Doing my best.
Message 4 of 5
ddemari
Super Contributor

Capitalone rebuilder cards seem to grow for some people and not for others. I have some platinum MC's that has qs1 rewards that are 3 years old. Those cards are just what they are, cap1 will not upgrade them or remove fees permanently, but they will remove the fees everytime I call the EO office.

So recently I saw three prequalifed offers on their website, VentureOne Visa, QS VISA and platinum prestige. I took the VentureOne, instant 5k visa signature approval, and then took the qs visa, instant 3k visa approval. 

I called customer serivce number on the back of my visa yesterday, which is the same numbe as the one on the back of platinum mc but entered visa's info for a rep. 

OMG, the customer service was an extremely different experience. It was like they were rolling out the redcarpet for me on the phone compared to when calling about a platinum MC question.

My bottomline with Cap1- they are forgiving, they accept people who cannot get in other places but like others have said on here, you are placed on a tier level with them. Forget about the low limit credit card and how it looks on your credit report, it does not matter. Focus on using the new cards and establishing them, the cap1 cards for excellent definitely grow with u.... Just give it 6 months at least. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.