Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One

tag
easy_chap
Established Member

Capital One

I opened a Capital One card back in November of 2008, I had an initial limit of $500. By June of 09 my limit was $1,500. It has been stuck there since. I have never paid late and always pay in full. I recently requested a CLI, which was denied. Anyone have similar problems. My Equifax score is 745. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One

I opened a Capital One card in early 2009.  It also started at $500.  After three months, it went to $1000, then after another 6 months it went to $1500.  It sat there for about a year so I decided to call and ask for a CLI.  They denied me.  I think the reason they stated was that they don't give customer initiated CLIs but I don't remember.  But then about a month later they raised me to $2500.  I don't know why they did it, so I don't know how helpful that is to you, but I thought I would share.  Your score is way better than mine.  My EQ FICO is now 678 but it was about 650-660 when they gave me the CLI. 

I initially was only using the card for a gas purchase once a month and then PIF.  As I've paid down most of my other debts, I started using it more.  I just got an Amex Premier Rewards Gold that I use now for just about everything, so the Capital One isn't getting a lot of use.  But before that, I was putting $1000 through it every month.  Maybe that had something to do with getting the CLI.  Sorry can't be of more help.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
britishbooklady
Regular Contributor

@easy_chap wrote:

I opened a Capital One card back in November of 2008, I had an initial limit of $500. By June of 09 my limit was $1,500. It has been stuck there since. I have never paid late and always pay in full. I recently requested a CLI, which was denied. Anyone have similar problems. My Equifax score is 745. 

Do you have any other CCs...like, say, from a bank or CU? If your other scores are similar to your EQ score, you might want to consider joining PSECU and applying for their Visa. The typical CL that people are getting is $20,000!

Personally, I don't like Capital One. I think they're jerks and don't treat their customers very well at all. If it were me, I'd get a better card from someone else and once it starts reporting, close the Capital One card.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck...

Starting Score: EX: 661, EQ: 662, TU: 694 [Lender Pull 12/30/2010]
Current Score: EX: 665, EQ: 680, TU: 710
Goal Score: EX: 750+, EQ: 750+, TU: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2011
Message 3 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My friend has had a $500 Cap1 card for about 6 years now... never CLI, recently he applied for Citi Forward and got instantly approved for $6k!

Cap1 is kind of like Target, some have great CL and great experience with them, but the majority I think get locked in at terrible CL and never get CLI.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.