Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,698
Registered: ‎08-13-2009
0

Capital One

Helping my brother.  We found this on Experian credit report.  

 

Capital One shows as "open" with credit limit of "N/A" -- translation?

 

Status: 
Open/Never late.    
Date Opened: 02/2000

Date of Status: 10/2006

Reported Since: 02/2000

Last Reported Date: 10/2006
Type: Revolving Terms: N/A 

Monthly Payment: $0

Responsibility: Individual 
Credit Limit: N/A

High Balance: $111 

Recent Balance: $0

Recent Payment: $0

 

This is another card he knew nothing about.  

 

Suggestions? 

Super Contributor
Posts: 5,744
Registered: ‎01-28-2008
0

Re: Capital One


IOBA wrote:

Helping my brother.  We found this on Experian credit report.  

 

Capital One shows as "open" with credit limit of "N/A" -- translation?

 

Status: 
Open/Never late.    
Date Opened: 02/2000

Date of Status: 10/2006

Reported Since: 02/2000

Last Reported Date: 10/2006
Type: Revolving Terms: N/A 

Monthly Payment: $0

Responsibility: Individual 
Credit Limit: N/A

High Balance: $111 

Recent Balance: $0

Recent Payment: $0

 

This is another card he knew nothing about.  

 

Suggestions? 


Nothing adverse about it. Given the age of the account, I would only inquire about the account with Cap. 1, and not the  CRA's.

Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: Capital One


IOBA wrote:

 

Status: 

Last Reported Date: 10/2006


I think the question is why hasn't this account reported for three years...

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,698
Registered: ‎08-13-2009
0

Re: Capital One

That is a good question...why hasn't it reported for several years?

 

A wonderful suggestion was given on another posting.  

 

Call up the creditor and claim the card was lost and have a new one sent out, with an updated address, etc.

 

Backdoor numbers for Capital One and for Chase? 

 

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 260
Registered: ‎05-21-2009
0

Re: Capital One


creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

IOBA wrote:

 

Status: 

Last Reported Date: 10/2006


I think the question is why hasn't this account reported for three years...


 

Actually, I have been told that if a credit card reaches it's expiry date and has not been renewed, then most banks will quit reporting it's status. The reason being is it is not an open acct.
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: Capital One


DickC wrote:

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

IOBA wrote:

 

Status: 

Last Reported Date: 10/2006


I think the question is why hasn't this account reported for three years...


 

Actually, I have been told that if a credit card reaches it's expiry date and has not been renewed, then most banks will quit reporting it's status. The reason being is it is not an open acct.

Renewal cards are sent out automatically. If the account had been closed it would have been reported to the CRA's as "Closed", It is reported as "Open".

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 260
Registered: ‎05-21-2009
0

Re: Capital One

OK, if it is on your Credit Report, there has to be an identifying number. From this you should be able to determine what type of account it is.

 

As far as reporting, I think this is something we will be seeing a lot more of.

 

 

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Capital One


IOBA wrote:

That is a good question...why hasn't it reported for several years?

 

A wonderful suggestion was given on another posting.  

 

Call up the creditor and claim the card was lost and have a new one sent out, with an updated address, etc.

 

Backdoor numbers for Capital One and for Chase? 

  



I would call up and say that the dog chewed it up or something. Reporting it lost might result in two TL's reporting for two years.

CapOne used to not report CL's. They changed this about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago, so it's possible that if the account went dormant, they never switched over to reporting the CL.

"Open" can be both a card type and an account status. Where exactly does it say Open?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: Capital One


IOBA wrote:

 

Status: 
Open/Never late.
Type: Revolving


 

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Capital One

Thanks, missed that.

In that case, I'd try the dog-ate-my-card bit. Then try ordering online or something, and see if the system accepts the account number.

If he suspects that his ex opened the account, that might be different (as discussed on the Kohl's thread.) If he feels comfortable with this one, and at least it's clean, and hasn't been used since 2006, he might as well take it over. Just make sure that there isn't an authorized user (as in, the ex) on the account. If so, get her off pronto.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.