Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital Ones Last Chance

tag
aplast
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital Ones Last Chance

OP for whatever its worth - I called very early in the game and they were very gracious and took care of me within 72 hours. I had a jump from 750 to 3500. It may be possible that they had a certain amount of CLI money allocated since changing their policies and its all dried up. Im not sure. best of luck to you though, and We all hope you get that increase you deserve!!!

Message 11 of 42
Involus
Regular Contributor

That could be, but we will see and thanks. I'm in the 72 hour wait period myself - hopefully I hear good news by Friday.

Message 12 of 42
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

Honestly, i would just move on. They dont care about their customers requests. I went 5 years without a CLI and ive seen many on here with a similar timeframe. $750 utilization wont drop your scores. Just apply for something else if the scores in your sig are true

Message 13 of 42
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

I was in a similar boat as you a while back...Cap1 also gave me my first card, and my second, so I told myself I'd always be a customer. Not.

Long story short I called way before my AF was due ($19) and asked if it could be waived. They guy I spoke to said no problem, but you need to call back when it hits and they will remove it for me. So I call back after it's charged and the lady refuses to waive it. I say "ok, then I'd like to close this account" sort of as a bluff at first, but she went through with it! Never even attempted to keep me as a customer, then proceeded to tell me that the AF would be cancelled since I'm closing the account...REALLY? So in the end, you decided to lose a customer over $19 that you had to refund anyway? After that I was so peeved that I told her to close my second account (with no AF) and she happily did that as well, with no hesitation or any attempt to convince me otherwise. 

Not my proudest moment but I gave her some choice words when she thanked me for my time with Cap1 and told me to have a nice day...I told her to go BLEEP herself.

I say to hell with them. They lost two accounts and a customer for life over $19...their loss. I've moved on to bigger and better cards. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to many of their business practices; thankfully, I'm no longer being held hostage with their $500 CL's with no room for advancement.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 42
Involus
Regular Contributor

Yeah I said the same that 'I'll always be a customer since they gave me my start' but they don't care about retaining customers or rewarding good financial management so I honestly I don't care if they give me a CLI -- I just figured I would give it a go because I'll never use it anyone since they are such a crappy company. I would much rather pump money through my Freedom or Amex and actually get rewards rather than nothing from Crap1. If they CLI me I'll go get a MCD sweet tea like once a week or something to keep it active to lower util% in the event I have to carry a balance somewhere else. TBH I would rather replace them with Discover but have to wait a few more days to re-app as I apped before my report refreshed and util% was still through the roof.

Time should tell the result - if they call me and so no go or only offer like $250 increase I'll tell them to cancel the card on the spot. I want to move to at minimum $2500 for them to retain me.

Message 15 of 42
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain. Since I've been able to get better cards, I dumped them and the HSBC Best Buy card. I also transferred my Orange savings accounts. I will NOT do business with this company any longer. The great their customers like dirt and just a number. Each account I closed with them, not one single rep tried to retain me. Their Cash Back card commercial is a joke. 

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 16 of 42
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:
So I call back after it's charged and the lady refuses to waive it. I say "ok, then I'd like to close this account" sort of as a bluff at first, but she went through with it! Never even attempted to keep me as a customer, then proceeded to tell me that the AF would be cancelled since I'm closing the account...REALLY? So in the end, you decided to lose a customer over $19 that you had to refund anyway? After that I was so peeved that I told her to close my second account (with no AF) and she happily did that as well, with no hesitation or any attempt to convince me otherwise. 

Not my proudest moment but I gave her some choice words when she thanked me for my time with Cap1 and told me to have a nice day...I told her to go BLEEP herself.

I say to hell with them. They lost two accounts and a customer for life over $19...their loss. I've moved on to bigger and better cards. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to many of their business practices; thankfully, I'm no longer being held hostage with their $500 CL's with no room for advancement.

I wouldn't have repeated that story as it is very rude and classless if you really did do that. You should never be rude to someone who is just following company policy. Maybe she didn't have the ability to waive the annual fee, so there was nothing she could do. Every card company will refund the fee if you cancel, and even companies like Chase, Citi, and American Express have been known to say no to waiving an annual fee.

I don't see why people get so upset with Capital One over nothing. I can understand not wanting to pay the annual fee, but if there is none, what does a low limit matter? I got the Chase Amazon Visa last December when I only had two cards and the highest limit I had was 1400. They gave me 1000 and that is where it still is. I have not asked for an increase on it and likely never will. I have much higher limits than that, and not once has any analyst questioned why the limit was so low and it has not stopped Chase from giving me higher limits on other cards. Some of the people complaining still do not have excellent credit and have low limits on other cards.

I know American Express will give people a  limit of 200 or 500 on the Zync and wouldn't let you open another card while it was open. Still people were excited to get the card even though it would never grow with them. I say if the card has no annual fee, closing it is not the best move.

Message 17 of 42
jpparker07
New Contributor

I was devastated when ING Direct was bought by them. I quickly closed out my accounts.

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 18 of 42
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I wouldn't have repeated that story as it is very rude and classless if you really did do that. You should never be rude to someone who is just following company policy. Maybe she didn't have the ability to waive the annual fee, so there was nothing she could do. Every card company will refund the fee if you cancel, and even companies like Chase, Citi, and American Express have been known to say no to waiving an annual fee.

I don't see why people get so upset with Capital One over nothing. I can understand not wanting to pay the annual fee, but if there is none, what does a low limit matter? I got the Chase Amazon Visa last December when I only had two cards and the highest limit I had was 1400. They gave me 1000 and that is where it still is. I have not asked for an increase on it and likely never will. I have much higher limits than that, and not once has any analyst questioned why the limit was so low and it has not stopped Chase from giving me higher limits on other cards. Some of the people complaining still do not have excellent credit and have low limits on other cards.

I know American Express will give people a  limit of 200 or 500 on the Zync and wouldn't let you open another card while it was open. Still people were excited to get the card even though it would never grow with them. I say if the card has no annual fee, closing it is not the best move.

I called the same number I called before and got a "senior account manager" or something along those lines. Apparently they could waive the fee the month prior (according to the man I spoke with), but then all the sudden had a company wide policy change to no waiving? Sorry, but I don't buy that for a second. I suppose it's also policy to not even attempt to retain your customers? Someone with multiple accounts and perfect payment history? Again, not buying it.

Even if all of that is policy, and they're willing to lose two accounts over $19 that they have to refund anyway...well then, I'd say they're setting their employees up for some angry customers.

And I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. I'll say what's on my mind and if they don't like it, too bad. Capital One knows nothing about class, buddy.

Photobucket
Message 19 of 42
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

@CotySinz wrote:

Yeah I said the same that 'I'll always be a customer since they gave me my start' but they don't care about retaining customers or rewarding good financial management so I honestly I don't care if they give me a CLI -- I just figured I would give it a go because I'll never use it anyone since they are such a crappy company. I would much rather pump money through my Freedom or Amex and actually get rewards rather than nothing from Crap1. If they CLI me I'll go get a MCD sweet tea like once a week or something to keep it active to lower util% in the event I have to carry a balance somewhere else. TBH I would rather replace them with Discover but have to wait a few more days to re-app as I apped before my report refreshed and util% was still through the roof.

Time should tell the result - if they call me and so no go or only offer like $250 increase I'll tell them to cancel the card on the spot. I want to move to at minimum $2500 for them to retain me.

Have you logging into your account to see if they made any changes?

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.