Did you mean: 

Capital cash rewards AF waiver?!

tag
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Capital cash rewards AF waiver?!

Hello everyone

I was chatting with a capital one online rep last night

She indicated that I am better off applying for the cash rewards with the Annual fee since BK is stil on file

However; she indicated that the option to waive the AF and upgrade the card based on history of payment is available in the future

any insight???

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Goal Score: 800+ across the board | Goals Hit: 3 Active Cards: 2

Gardening Since: October 2015 Garden Goal: Oct 2018

Wish List: | None

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Capital cash rewards AF waiver?!

It's definitely a possibility. I just got PCd to the card with a waived annual fee for the life of my account because I had that with my platinum card. 

Message 2 of 11
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

thanks for the insight

i am reluctant cause I closed my cap 1 platinum after six years cause they wont

do a PC or waive the AF

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Goal Score: 800+ across the board | Goals Hit: 3 Active Cards: 2

Gardening Since: October 2015 Garden Goal: Oct 2018

Wish List: | None

Message 3 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

They did my PC to cash rewards before my first statement even cut. I read somewhere that they're more likely to do PCs and other offers if you start out with a higher CL with them, I started with the 3000 (which is the max) and after reading that post, I figured that was why they were willing to do it. 

Message 4 of 11
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I had a Platinum Visa since 2006, limit 3k. Last month I went on the online chat, and asked about a Product Change. They offered the Green Cash rewards with no AF. I went ahead and switched it over, since there was no AF. Otherwise, I was just about to close it. I also asked for a CLI, no go (no hard pull).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 5 of 11
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

It's definitely a possibility. I just got PCd to the card with a waived annual fee for the life of my account because I had that with my platinum card. 

+1 same thing happened to me

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 6 of 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@pokerpro wrote:

Hello everyone

I was chatting with a capital one online rep last night

She indicated that I am better off applying for the cash rewards with the Annual fee since BK is stil on file

However; she indicated that the option to waive the AF and upgrade the card based on history of payment is available in the future

any insight???

I have had them waive my AF and they told me they will again in 2 months when it posts next.  However they won't raise the limit after excellent history and a much better credit score.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 11
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Since Capital One is finally upgrading (some of) the Platinum accounts to the cash back account, I wonder why this option is not availble to me through the online "Modify Your Features" option. That option has only once offered me a choice -- it was a choice to uprade to the airline rewards card.

Message 8 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Just use the Chat Now button or call up, I didn't have anything under Modify Your Features either, my account was maybe 20 days old, and I just asked for S&Gs, but they were like "Well I see you have an offer, let me transfer you" 

Usually if you have an offer for the travel rewards, they will upgrade you to cash rewards, because when I got mine they asked me if I wanted travel rewards or cash rewards, so I assume you just get an option to "Upgrade to a rewards card" and they'll do either one. 

Message 9 of 11
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Thank you, jsucool76; that sounds like a straight forward painless process.

About how much time should I set aside for making this request ? (I think I'll feel more comfortable asking via online chat)

Were there any additional questions that were asked of you by the agent before the agent processed your request ?

Is this cash rewards that you were converted to still a plain mastercard, or is this cash rewards one of the various types of world mastercard ?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.