Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one Balance Transfer question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one Balance Transfer question

Hello I am new here and have been lurking for awhile.

I tried to do a balance transfer of my BBVA Compass Clearpoints CC (22.99%APR) to my Capital One Quicksilver which has a 0% APR until 2016, but was told it couldn't go through because they are partners and they couldn't do transfers for customers with accounts with partnering institutions.  I've read a lot on this site and I have to say that I've never read this tidbit but does anyone know if these accounts can possibly be combined, I didn't ask because  I didn't know the proper way to word it or if it was just far fetched because partners are not same as the same company.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I also have a 0 % APR Chase Freedom and AMEX Everyday, I was just trying to keep them relatively clear. 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Capital one Balance Transfer question

Interesting.

Any accounts within the same servicing bank cannot be BT within that bank, that much is well known. I guess it must be that BBVA and CapOne have some sort of arrangement which makes them not BT to each other.

You had the terminology right, you want to do a balance transfer, but if not allowed by Capital One, then no joy.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read a lot on this site and I have to say that I've never read this tidbit but does anyone know if these accounts can possibly be combined, I didn't ask because  I didn't know the proper way to word it or if it was just far fetched because partners are not same as the same company.

Always read the terms and make sure you understand them.    CO's Credit Card FAQ states

What types of balances can I transfer?
You can transfer balances from other credit cards, personal loans, student loans, and auto loans. You will not be able to transfer a balance from another account issued or acquired by Capital One or any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

Though that said, I'm not sure where you'd find that BBVA and Capital One are affiliated.

I doubt that you'd be able to combine the accounts but if you want to confirm then check with them.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for responding, I really appreciate it.

Message 4 of 7
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried to do a balance transfer of my BBVA Compass Clearpoints CC (22.99%APR) to my Capital One Quicksilver which has a 0% APR until 2016, but was told it couldn't go through because they are partners and they couldn't do transfers for customers with accounts with partnering institutions.  I've read a lot on this site and I have to say that I've never read this tidbit but does anyone know if these accounts can possibly be combined, I didn't ask because  I didn't know the proper way to word it or if it was just far fetched because partners are not same as the same company.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I also have a 0 % APR Chase Freedom and AMEX Everyday, I was just trying to keep them relatively clear. 

Thanks 

This happened to me yesterday with my BBVA Compass AE card, I was told that they are afillated in some sort of way, not a big deal for me.

My APR is 15.25% and I wanted to take Cap1's 12 months 0%..........I did BT'ed Walmart, Amazon and Barclay reward so I'm good.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 5 of 7
Bone35
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks 

Hi Nikki....Welcome to myFICO!

First, sorry you ran into this and second....sorry some just like to preach and tell you that you should of read T&C blah blah blah. (I do agree this is important to do)  but that doesnt help you right now...

I got a simple fix to your little situation...When you go to do a balance transfer with capital one online look for a link that says something like....."You may be eligible for a check written to yourself or something like that".. CLICK IT...enter the amount and POOF check in your mailbox in about 7 days. Deposit it and pay of the other card. Problem solved. I've done it many times Smiley Happy

If you have trouble finding it...let me know and I will be glad to go through it step by step for you Smiley Happy

GOOD LUCK!

EDIT.....TOO FUNNY...JUST NOTICED THIS WAS A YEAR OLD THREAD.....LOL! 

I HOPE THIS FINDS YOU WELL NIKKI!

Message 6 of 7
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Bone35 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks 

Hi Nikki....Welcome to myFICO!

First, sorry you ran into this and second....sorry some just like to preach and tell you that you should of read T&C blah blah blah. (I do agree this is important to do)  but that doesnt help you right now...

I got a simple fix to your little situation...When you go to do a balance transfer with capital one online look for a link that says something like....."You may be eligible for a check written to yourself or something like that".. CLICK IT...enter the amount and POOF check in your mailbox in about 7 days. Deposit it and pay of the other card. Problem solved. I've done it many times Smiley Happy

If you have trouble finding it...let me know and I will be glad to go through it step by step for you Smiley Happy

GOOD LUCK!

EDIT.....TOO FUNNY...JUST NOTICED THIS WAS A YEAR OLD THREAD.....LOL! 

I HOPE THIS FINDS YOU WELL NIKKI!

yeah just noticed myselfSmiley Surprised

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.