cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one apping need guru's advice EDIT APPROVED but not so easily....

tag
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Capital one apping need guru's advice EDIT APPROVED but not so easily....

With downsizing the collection since last May I have done pretty good...deleted 11 cards, 3 banks and still have two cards to wave good bye to. Leading me to this question for the Cap1 aficionados....I want to app for Venture (not now, in future, so if gardening is the advice cool, no rush here). I really am NOT a Cap1 fan, but Venture seems it's own animal with them and I do travel....So for at least 6 months I have been checking the pre-qual site and ALWAYS get the pre-approval for the platinum no AF and QS1 with AF, both at like 23% (I PIF so don't care). My scores are: TU 801    EQ 822    EX 783  Util is 1%    APPS: TU 20    EQ 5    EX 16  most recent apps were two Chase with in the last 2 months......So peeps what does Cap 1 see or not see to qualify me for a Venture?   Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. I understand we are all on our own journey here and different things mean more to some than others depending on your situation.....so that said what can I improve to get a Venture? If it is something like time, cool, but is it something else like Util?? Or do they get scared by number of cards/accounts I have (about 36 with car loans etc) or could it be the number of Apps? Thanks!

EDIT: well after this thread I applied for the Venture and was immediately denied...too many inq.  So I sent off an email to EO explaining why I wanted the card, how I would use it and that the inquires, while a lot (about 40 across all three) were justified, and I was not JUST looking for credit, got a call two days later - nice woman took info said they would pull all three again. whatever at this point 3 more REALLY?  LOL  a week later no pulls and called the hot line for app status and low and behold APPROVED....very cool now I must say even if I wanted to app I really can't. This would finish my collection as it is...I still have two more cards to cut from the current roster, just waiting for the AF to hit....THANKS for your advice all I truly appreciate it!!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital one apping need guru's advice

@odd_dog wrote:

With downsizing the collection since last May I have done pretty good...deleted 11 cards, 3 banks and still have two cards to wave good bye to. Leading me to this question for the Cap1 aficionados....I want to app for Venture (not now, in future, so if gardening is the advice cool, no rush here). I really am NOT a Cap1 fan, but Venture seems it's own animal with them and I do travel....So for at least 6 months I have been checking the pre-qual site and ALWAYS get the pre-approval for the platinum no AF and QS1 with AF, both at like 23% (I PIF so don't care). My scores are: TU 801    EQ 822    EX 783  Util is 1%    APPS: TU 20    EQ 5    EX 16  most recent apps were two Chase with in the last 2 months......So peeps what does Cap 1 see or not see to qualify me for a Venture?   Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. I understand we are all on our own journey here and different things mean more to some than others depending on your situation.....so that said what can I improve to get a Venture? If it is something like time, cool, but is it something else like Util?? Or do they get scared by number of cards/accounts I have (about 36 with car loans etc) or could it be the number of Apps? Thanks!

With your scores I think you'll be approved for Venture.

I have, and like, the Venture card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 13
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

But SJ wouldn't that come up in the prequil?

Message 3 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Not necessarily. Some people never prequalify at all; they just cold app and still get approved.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

But SJ wouldn't that come up in the prequil?

No, most people don't get prequalified for the Cap One cards they get. I don't know why, but Cap One doesn't prequalify a whole lot.

Message 5 of 13
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Thanks Omar and SJ maybe I am just over thinking this....the prequal thing has me so paranoid....that no good cards are showing up and I read a lot on here that the Cap 1 prequal's are "golden" .....hummm  maybe I should treat this like any other app, except that 3 CR pull thing....LOL  

Message 6 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Thanks Omar and SJ maybe I am just over thinking this....the prequal thing has me so paranoid....that no good cards are showing up and I read a lot on here that the Cap 1 prequal's are "golden" .....hummm  maybe I should treat this like any other app, except that 3 CR pull thing....LOL  

They don't always pull 3, sometimes they just pull 2 Smiley Happy

You are overthinking it; it's a nice card. Esthetically it's the nicest of the 16 cards I have; it's very useful, having 2 points for rewards and 1 if you decide to opt for cash... The travel selections are practically infinite through Orbitz, good priced, and don't require loyalty to any particular airline or hotel chain. It usually offers me a choice of fee-free or interest-free balance transfers. It usually comes with a healthy starting limit. Capital One is pleasant to deal with; they'll never pull some ädverse action on you because you use your card too much or too little... just pay your bills and they don't care what you do. Whenever you ask for a CLI it's a soft pull, and they often give auto CLI's.

Message 7 of 13
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

They don't always pull 3, sometimes they just pull 2 Smiley Happy

You are overthinking it; it's a nice card. Esthetically it's the nicest of the 16 cards I have; it's very useful, having 2 points for rewards and 1 if you decide to opt for cash... The travel selections are practically infinite through Orbitz, good priced, and don't require loyalty to any particular airline or hotel chain. It usually offers me a choice of fee-free or interest-free balance transfers. It usually comes with a healthy starting limit. Capital One is pleasant to deal with; they'll never pull some ädverse action on you because you use your card too much or too little... just pay your bills and they don't care what you do. Whenever you ask for a CLI it's a soft pull, and they often give auto CLI's.

Thanks how could I NOT take the advice of a Jets fan (from Jersey originally and HATE the Giants....LOL)

Message 8 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP with your scores, you will be fine to get the Venture. 

I also did not get a prequalification indication last summer when I append Venture, but I have a CapOne from 2003 with a lot of history.

Your first Venture isn't certain to be a huge limit, but depending on income level it will likely be quite good.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 13
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Figured scores would not be an issue, more the apps...and new accounts, Cap1 to me seems almost bi-polar, I have seen some just out of BK and relatively low scores get great limits (YAY!) and seen some with scores like mine get denied for too much credit, too many apps, etc....they seem all over the place, if it was one CR hit I would not be so worried about it but to take a "hat trick" of credit pulls to hear that I app a lot.....or have too many accounts....uuuuggghhhh.....LOL

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.