Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one charge offs

tag
Peachykeen2014
Visitor

Capital one charge offs

Hello everyone,

I currently have a fico score of 582. I am trying to get approved for a regular credit card, but I am not having any luck. I have an auto loan that is almost a year old with no late payments. I've also got 2 commenity store cards just opened this year. The problem is, about three years ago I had two capital one accounts that I stopped paying (I was 18 and stupid) and one account got sent to a collector which I just settled with, and the other one I also settled with but it wasn't in collection. My question is, can I apply to cap one again and be reapproved? After looking around online this seems like my only option for a regular credit card. I applied for a boa secured card and was denied. Please help!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital one charge offs

@Peachykeen2014 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I currently have a fico score of 582. I am trying to get approved for a regular credit card, but I am not having any luck. I have an auto loan that is almost a year old with no late payments. I've also got 2 commenity store cards just opened this year. The problem is, about three years ago I had two capital one accounts that I stopped paying (I was 18 and stupid) and one account got sent to a collector which I just settled with, and the other one I also settled with but it wasn't in collection. My question is, can I apply to cap one again and be reapproved? After looking around online this seems like my only option for a regular credit card. I applied for a boa secured card and was denied. Please help!

You will probably have to go for a secured card.  I'm going to move this over to the CC boards so those gurus can take a shot at it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
TVP125
New Contributor

I too had a capital one charged off and ended up settling the balance a few years later. I was able to get a Secured card at my local credit union with a $500 deposit which at the time really helped bump my score, Six months after I settled with Capital one I applied and was offered there secured card with a small $200 limit with a $49 deposit. From what I have read Capital one does not black list but they may make you wait a few months before they give you a second chance. 

Thank You!
Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@Peachykeen2014 wrote:
Hello everyone,

You will probably have to go for a secured card.  I'm going to move this over to the CC boards so those gurus can take a shot at it.

+1 

Welcome to the forum 

Not sure which Fico score that is but I truly believe your in need of a new TL but unsecured may not be option at the moment ....Sorry 

However there's hope Yay

One card I tell a lot of rebuilders at your stag about  is SFDCU secured 

The Pros....No HP required.....Great APR.....Reports to all 3 CB's...........Easy approval 

The Cons...Will not graduate....Small scoring ding when the new account reports but considering you didn't take a ding for a HP this is probably a pro instead of a con 

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Secured would most likely be all you can get from Cap-1 for a few years, they will not permanently BL you and since you settled it will be easier to get new unsecured credit from them.

Message 5 of 6
Longroad
Established Contributor

They will not BL but they will grow VERY slowly as long as you have the settlement. I had a settlement on a HSBC card that was transferred to Cap 1 about 5 years ago. The balance was about $750 and I settled for 50%. I got a platinum card about 2 years ago that sat at $300 for about 18 mos with multiple CLI increase denials. i also was approved for a QS1 in November '13 for $300, this was during my ap spree that netted a SWA card for $5000 and an Arrival for $2500. I decided to contact Cap 1 and pay off the charge off balance. About 2 months later I received a $1500 increase to the older card and am hopeful to see similar results on the QS1 card at the six month mark. It could all be coincidence, but then it could be because I paid the old debt. Just my 2 cents. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.