Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one credit steps

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital one credit steps

Sorry to hear that Kobe 😢 I know how you feel but it could be worse , you could be stuck at 500 CL like me lol
Message 41 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was approved in October with a $2K SL...Email for credit steps said i'd get $500 after 5 payments. denied several luv button hits over that course of time. after my 5th payment i received a $1K CLI which i assume is my credit steps increase. I'd also like to add that i rarely use the card. Never had a balance higher than $50 and some months made no purchases. So the credit steps amount doesnt seem to have much to do with usage in my case. Though all my scores have increased since i was approved.

Message 42 of 71
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info , in my case my SL was 300 my scores at the time of approval were 570-580s and just least week when I got my Credit Steps increase my scores have risen to over 660-670s and I only got a 200 dollar increase. I used and Pif almost every mth , there was one time or two I left a very small balance to report so I don't think scores play much a part either
Message 43 of 71
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Yea it was a disappointment as I have seen people get a lot more last year... but that's ok I'll prolly apply for another card with them once my utilization is down to 10% ... I hope the 6 months between apps didn't start when I got approved for Sony card three weeks ago

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 44 of 71
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I am almost certain the co-branded cards aren't part of the 6 mth rule Kobe so you should be fine
Message 45 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first statement cut for Cap One Platinum card with $3k limit on 4/19. I charge everything thru it and pay balance about once a week.  I received an auto CLI email today saying I will get $500 added after 5th payment.  If I want to request an early increase should I wait a certain amount of time before asking online?

Message 46 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My first statement cut for Cap One Platinum card with $3k limit on 4/19. I charge everything thru it and pay balance about once a week.  I received an auto CLI email today saying I will get $500 added after 5th payment.  If I want to request an early increase should I wait a certain amount of time before asking online?

Standard wisdom says to wait to the 60-90 day mark...that said, there's been some changes out of Capital One lately, so no telling whether standard wisdom applies anymore.

Good luck to you!

Message 47 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@I'm in a quite similar situation - I got a Cap 1 Platinum unsecured with the same SL as you in February, and my first statement cut in March, second in April and so the third should cut in May with a June 5 payment due date. I got the same email (in my case the $500 auto CLI is scheduled for August/September - I have to go back to check) and I've been considering trying for an "early" CLI in June or July, but like @Anonymous says Cap 1 has been changing some things lately so I'm going to wait and see how things shake out.  We know that several lenders have recently started taking AA's against users who draw notice to themselves for various reasons that the lenders consider as being "off" or "wrong", so I'm going to play it very conservatively and if evidence starts accumulating that firing a CLI too early or for too much draws the attention of the lender to your profile in a bad way, then I'm going to forego it.

Message 48 of 71
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Maybe I can help. I got my QS1 in Nov 2016. Just got my first auto cli today, the day after my 5th statement's due date. So I believe its after your 5th statement shows as paid/the same day your 6th statement is available. I haven't received any notification of the cli, I just went and looked as soon as I received the email stating my 6th statement was available.

A few data points
QS1 started Nov 2016 w/$300 SL
Enrolled in credit steps. Forgot I owed them from over 10 years ago.
Hit the luv button after 3rd statement and got cli of $100. Woww
Received auto cli of $350 after 5th statement's due date.

Next step is to hit the luv button after my 9th statement and wait for another auto cli.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 49 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you know if you're part of the Credit Steps program?  I just got my QS1 with a $3k limit.  Am I automatically enrolled because it's a QS1?  Is there a way for me to find out online?

Message 50 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.