Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one credit steps

tag
DeeCorey
New Contributor

Re: Capital one credit steps

@601fluguy wrote:
Correct. I was removed after the credit steps $350 cli.

I believe that just means you will no longer get autmatic increases via Credit Steps. I started my rebuild with a Platinum card in April 2016 with a $300 SL. Got a $100 increase via the luv button around September (about 5 months in), then got a credit steps increase of $350 in october, bringing the CL to $750. This past April around the 1-year anniversary of account opening and 6 months after the credit steps increase I did NOT get an autmoatic increase, but hit the luv button and got a $500 increase, bringing the CL to $1,250. Right after that I upgraded to the regular QS (no additional increase). Then, two weeks ago I got approved for a Venture with a $15,000 SL.

I know everyone's saying Cap1 is acting funny lately, but they're alright with me!

Message 61 of 71
601flyguy
Established Contributor

That's pretty much how my experience is going. I can request cli in oct. If they give me a $500 cli, it's staying on the sock drawer.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 62 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks. I thought maybe something was changing and getting cli before the steps was dropping people from the program. It's all this huge game that were all trying to play.
Message 63 of 71
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

I will let you all know how my Credit Steps goes. The email from the day I signed up says $300 to $500 with an unsecured Platinum. I did the PC SP and they offered me a QS (edit: accepted the offer, but still not using it because of the $300 limit). However, I've been approved for all the cards I'm actually using in the meantime (see sig) -- my largest limit by far is $3,700 BoA Travel Rewards (I think in large part because of my relationship with Merrill Lynch), and then NFCU Go Rewards at $2,100. My scores are up about 125 pts since I got the Cap1 in late January of this year, in large part because my student loans moved out of default and back to their original servicer. Outside of that, I've taken care of all my baddies in full.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 64 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just upgraded from Platinum (opened in February) to Quicksilver on Monday, so I'm still waiting on my own Credit Steps CLI, which should be after my 5th statement cuts, so sometime in August. I've tried twice for "luv" button CLI's last month and yesterday, but got back the boilerplate "your payments are too low" response even though I've been making large, well-over-minimum payments on my first three statements.  TU is now 643, a bit better than last month but still not up to the level of my EX which is 678 as of Tuesday (I don't know what my current EQ is, I'm still waiting on Lenny to update).

Message 65 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been reading people posting about Cap One limiting credit and cli's, but I haven't had the issue yet.  The hubby and I had our BK7 discharge January 2016.  We hadn't obtained any new loans or credit cards until last month.  We had burned Cap One, but checking the prequal site we were both pre approved for the Platinum unsecured.  I was surprised as all our score were between 550-580.  I was approved for 2k and he got 1k.  Based on what I was reading on here I thought we would only be approved for the secured version.  We just got our credit steps email yesterday and they stated we would both get a $500 increase.  I am hoping to PC them after the 3rd statement cuts and then try for a cli via the luv button before the auto step increase.  

Message 66 of 71
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats 500 is the standard CRedit Steps increase now, it used to be when it was time for your CS increase ppl were getting these really Big increases like 4K or more but that has all but ceased to exist since they have really cracked down lately
Message 67 of 71
VipreArmed
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you know if you're part of the Credit Steps program?  I just got my QS1 with a $3k limit.  Am I automatically enrolled because it's a QS1?  Is there a way for me to find out online?

I'm glad this question was asked.  As far as my knowledge, I've never received anything from Capital One regarding a Credit Steps program. I noticed someone replied and said it's automatic enrollment.  Is that true for everyone who applies for a QuikSilver One card?  I applied for one in May and was given a SL of $1000 but I never received any email regarding a program.  I'm asking because I was interested in knowing the best timeframes to request a CLI.

How do you find out if you are in the program?  Any help would be appreciated.  

AMEX Blue Cash | Capital One Platinum | OverStock CC | Quiksilver | Walmart | VS Angel Card | 24k Student Loans |

Starting Scores: 4/1/2017 EQ: 623 TU: 644 EX: 661
10/30/2017 EQ: 641 TU: 681 EX: 695
Goal: 720 EQ-TU-EX

Gardening till April 2018!

Message 68 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Message 69 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi 

I think credit steps is for people building or rebuilding credit.  You can request anytime you want as it is a soft pull. 

Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.