Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one credit steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one credit steps

I have 2 capital one cards

the first card started out as a secured. i got my steps at 6th statement  and after it became unsecured it was upgraded to a quicksilver 12th statetement should post today

the other card started out as a platinum and was upgraded to quicksilver at the same time ready to hit 6th statement next week.

My question is. how long is the credit steps program. is it just at 6th statement or will i get another auto increase as soon as the 12th statement drops later today.

the other card started at 500 and was told would be bumped to 750 at  the 6th statement. is there any chance the increse could be more than that.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital one credit steps

Credit steps is a one time increase at 6 months, you do not get another at 12 months, but you can ask for a CLI at that time (or every 6 months) and it is a soft pull.

The credit steps shows the minimum increase, but you can get a higher increase by running a lot of spend through the card and making multiple payments each month.

Also, on your second card, around the 3 month mark you can start to request a CLI and will likely get a small bump, and will still get the credit steps increase at the 6 month mark.  This is sort of a loophole but you should take advantage because it's the only way to get an extra CLI without waiting 6 months.

GL

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had Q1. My second card... Was able to upgrade it to just regular quicksilver and topped it off at only 5K after about 1 year with a lot of use. I don't use it anymore so no more CLI being offered over the last year.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimorenow wrote:

Credit steps is a one time increase at 6 months, you do not get another at 12 months, but you can ask for a CLI at that time (or every 6 months) and it is a soft pull.

The credit steps shows the minimum increase, but you can get a higher increase by running a lot of spend through the card and making multiple payments each month.

Also, on your second card, around the 3 month mark you can start to request a CLI and will likely get a small bump, and will still get the credit steps increase at the 6 month mark.  This is sort of a loophole but you should take advantage because it's the only way to get an extra CLI without waiting 6 months.

GL

So are you saying the credit steps does not count as a CLI request that you can only make 1ce every 6 months?

I got my credit steps increase in june, I have never actually requested a CLI, it was auto. 

Do i qualify for requesting one? Or do i need to wait 6 months from my auto CLI from june?

Message 4 of 12
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@enjoimorenow wrote:

GL

So are you saying the credit steps does not count as a CLI request that you can only make 1ce every 6 months?

I got my credit steps increase in june, I have never actually requested a CLI, it was auto. 

Do i qualify for requesting one? Or do i need to wait 6 months from my auto CLI from june?

You have to wait six months from your last CLI, whether it was auto or you request it.  I was able to get in on the loophole that enjoi mentioned,  Not knowing any better, I requested a cli at 3 months on my QS1 and my credit steps kicked in at 6 months.  I never received a CLI on that card again.  Ending up apping  for new card and combining the QS1 into it.  Seems when you start off with a rebuilder card with Cap One, they will always consider that account as a rebuilder, no matter how your profile improves.YMMV

Message 5 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

You can request a soft pull CLI every day.  

You cannot open a new card more than every 6 months.

You cannot receive a CLI more than once per every 6 months per card.

Are cards are independent of each other and do not really affect the others.

That is why people (myself included) get denied for CLI but approved for huge CL on new accounts.

Some cards have glass ceilings, some will grow dramatically if used and paid properly.

You can have a total of 5 Cap One cards (many say only 2 can be starter cards)

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you suggest that someone who is getting stuck with a low CapOne CL app for a new card then?

I have been requesting a CLI for about 9 months now (9 months ago I became eligible) and they always give me some reason why I don't qualify, while Chase is over here giving me SLs more than twice what I have at CapOne. Should I just give up on this card (it was my first) and open a new one?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread gives me both hope and dread... as before reading it I had this plan...

Secured Platinum with a 500 limit (steps back in september, still 99 secured)

QS1 opened in August with a 300 limit due to steps to at least 500 in January/February and plan to request CLI around the end of december for loophole purposes.

My plan was to wait for the plat to unsecure, and then combine the cards (hopefull as a QS with the open date of the secured card) since the word on the street is that if you arent unsecured by 12th cut, you probably will never be.

>_>  But hearing it may never increase again after that.... mehhhhh

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had terrible times with CapOne CLIs. I got one at about 4 months via luv button, $500 to $1500, then my steps at 6 months to $2k. Since then, and I actually think it's been over a year now, nothing. 

Message 9 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would you suggest that someone who is getting stuck with a low CapOne CL app for a new card then?

I have been requesting a CLI for about 9 months now (9 months ago I became eligible) and they always give me some reason why I don't qualify, while Chase is over here giving me SLs more than twice what I have at CapOne. Should I just give up on this card (it was my first) and open a new one?

If you know that you credit is much better than it was when you opened the card that wont get a CLI, I would recommed opening a new card.

I have been approved for new $10k and $30k cards while getting declined for CLI on well used well paid Cap One cards.

I opened like 7 accounts to end up with the 3 I have now.

You can check the prequal page first if you want to not gamble.  I would say that prequal apps are 99% accurate if you are pre-approved.

However, not getting prequal does NOT mean you won't get approved.  I have been approved for several cards I was NOT prequal for.

If you dont want several Cap One cards, you can combine them later after getting approved for the new one.

YMMV.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.