Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one help please

tag
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Capital one help please

Got approved for capital one platinum for a low $300 limit does anyone know if it grows quickly or can you change over to a better card after time 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DevotionToU
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital one help please

From reading others experiences with Capital One (as well as my own), they are not a lender that seems to grant a lot of CLIs, or even have their members eventually end up with a higher limit at all.  It is regarded as more of a rebuilding card.

$18000 Discover IT / $6000 Chase Freedom / $5000 DCU Visa / $3900 Fifth Third / $2500 Capital One Quicksilver / $2000 AMEX Blue Cash Everyday / $500 Chase Slate
Message 2 of 13
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

usually the 300$ ones are part of their "Steps" program or something similar, which in 6mo intervals, they will review your account for possibilities of bumping up the limit.... one of my cards started out like that about 2 years ago, 

progressions:

3000 (Upgraded to QuickSilver) 

so your mileage may vary, but it seemed like a good program to be in, now that i was upgraded out of it. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 3 of 13
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@Tomgon1981 wrote:

Got approved for capital one platinum for a low $300 limit does anyone know if it grows quickly or can you change over to a better card after time 

I got a Capital One Platinum for $1500 or so, many years ago, and just let it sit, rarely used. I never once got an auto-CLI, even when my credit was good. For comparison, my fiancee gets somewhat regular auto-CLIs from Chase (???). 

Once I started actively working on my credit, Capital One has been dicey. I was denied during a rebuilding period last year for a simple CLI, despite my years and years of history on the card. On recon, they gave me a $250 increase . Six months later, they gave me $2000 increase. 

What I'm getting at is, for Capital One, you will always have to ask. And they're going to be stingy about it unless you have both above-average credit AND a good history with them. 

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Your in their credit steps program, so after 6 statements if you make your payment on time they will give you an auto-cli. Also you can PC after 6 periods to QS if you want. My BF was able to after he got his cli. He started at 300 then they gave him an auto-cli of a 1000 and was able to PC to QS. Also was able to remove the AF. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 13
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

I was really hoping to get a decent limit as I currently have a discover it card with $1400 limit 

Message 6 of 13
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

My first Cap 1 card from 1/2013 went from $700 to $2000 after 5 months, and to $2500 6 mos. after that. My 2nd Cap1 card went from $500 to $1750 after 5 mos. I've read a lot of posts the past year with similar results.

Message 7 of 13
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Nice thanks 

Message 8 of 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

If you USE this card a lot, I think it will be beneficial to you. If you just let it sit as others say they did, of course Capital One really has no vested interest in keeping you as you've done absolutely nothing for them to incentivize them to help you.

Hope I made sense. I truly think that this card CAN grow and will so long as you make it your primary. (To some people, it's worth it to do this, to others not at all, but you have to decide if it is for you.)
Message 9 of 13
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

I currently use my discover it card for everything due to cash back  bonuses 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.