tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Capital one hype

@Anonymous wrote:

@Santi78342 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Besides the grand credit lines, what does Venture offer..?

The Venture card is a good travel card. Nothing too amazing, but it's a good card, with 2X miles per dollar and a 40,000 point bonus on $3,000 in 3 months. It does have a $59 AF, though.

Do the points have to be redeemed for travel? Or is this effectively a 2% cash back card? I see the $59 AF is waived for the first year.

Not cash back. 40,000 points = $400 in travel. Redeemable for a variety of different travel expenses.

Travel expenses are quite liberally defined, so we are talking about things like plane tickets, hotels, rental cars, trains etc. However, we are also talking about cab fare, subways, buses as well. So depending on your expenses you may have travel costs that you did not even consider travel.  

From cap 1 FAQ: 

Can I redeem my rewards for something other than travel?
You can also redeem your miles for cash, gift cards and more. Rates for these other redemption options vary and are subject to change without notice. As an Accountholder, you can visit capitalone.com to register your account and see a complete description of current redemption offers.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does $400 travel equate to $200 statement credit?

No, it equates to $400 statement credit.  When you earn the 40,000 (actually 44,000) point bonus you can can use what's called the purchase eraser to wipe off $400 in travel expenses.

Can I use the 44,000 bonus points to wipe out regular purchases or just claim a check?

It can be used to wipe out non travel expenses and you can use it for other purposes like gifts cards and cash but not at the same rate as travel redemption

Message 12 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paperchasers, I edited my post.  It can be used to wipe out non travel expenses but at much smaller redemption rate.  

Cash rate sucks as well.  My current 60,000 points equates to $300 in cash

Message 13 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way that miles could be valued at more than one cent?

Message 14 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any way that miles could be valued at more than one cent?

Nope

Message 15 of 51
Santi78342
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Paperchasers, I edited my post.  It can be used to wipe out non travel expenses but at much smaller redemption rate.  

Cash rate sucks as well.  My current 60,000 points equates to $300 in cash

So the 40,000 bonus is worth $200 in cash. Hmmmm.....

Message 16 of 51
Santi78342
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Santi78342 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Besides the grand credit lines, what does Venture offer..?

The Venture card is a good travel card. Nothing too amazing, but it's a good card, with 2X miles per dollar and a 40,000 point bonus on $3,000 in 3 months. It does have a $59 AF, though.

Do the points have to be redeemed for travel? Or is this effectively a 2% cash back card? I see the $59 AF is waived for the first year.

Not cash back. 40,000 points = $400 in travel. Redeemable for a variety of different travel expenses.

Travel expenses are quite liberally defined, so we are talking about things like plane tickets, hotels, rental cars, trains etc. However, we are also talking about cab fare, subways, buses as well. So depending on your expenses you may have travel costs that you did not even consider travel.  

From cap 1 FAQ: 

Can I redeem my rewards for something other than travel?
You can also redeem your miles for cash, gift cards and more. Rates for these other redemption options vary and are subject to change without notice. As an Accountholder, you can visit capitalone.com to register your account and see a complete description of current redemption offers.

none of that applies to me either. Gas should tototally be considered a travel expense! Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 51
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Can you use it to my like Visa gift cards, then cash them out for cash through Blue bird or Serve? I will make the 3k no problem doin MSing through gift cards.

Message 18 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Juss11 wrote:

Can you use it to my like Visa gift cards, then cash them out for cash through Blue bird or Serve? I will make the 3k no problem doin MSing through gift cards.

Not allowed to be discussed on this forum

Message 19 of 51
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Yes in theory you could but that's not ethical. ..
Message 20 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.