Did you mean: 

Capital one hype

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one hype

@Santi78342 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Paperchasers, I edited my post.  It can be used to wipe out non travel expenses but at much smaller redemption rate.  

Cash rate sucks as well.  My current 60,000 points equates to $300 in cash

So the 40,000 bonus is worth $200 in cash. Hmmmm.....

There are much better uses of 3 inquiries than this card! $200 after $4,000 and 3 pulls is pretty bad unless you want the card to keep.

Message 21 of 51
happypill
Valued Contributor

Don't know why people keep trying to say 40k points = $200.  40k points = $400 when applied to any sort of travel expense.  If you never travel, then no, this card doesn't make sense.  If you are able to take advantage of the sign-on bonus, then this card makes a lot of sense.

For example, it would be superior to the Citi Double Cash or the Fidelity Amex for approximately the first 8 years because that's how long it would take for the $59 annual fee (free first year) to offset the $400 bonus.  And, given that you get the money up front and there's no telling what each reward program will look like 8 years down the road, one might argue that it is just superior period.

The Venture would also be superior to the Barclay's Arrival+ if you spend up to $15k per year.  The Arrival+ offers basically 2.22% rewards compared with the Venture's 2%, but the Arrival+ also has a higher annual fee of $89.  It would take ~$15k spending to overcome the difference in AF.  So, for moderate to big spenders, the Arrival+ makes more sense, but for a lot of people, the Venture is a better deal.

Message 22 of 51
IWOL
Established Contributor

Even if you don't travel using the Venture points for cash at half a cent per point is silly. 

If you really want to get cash back you could for example buy a Southwest gift card for $400 and sell it for around $370 on places like Ebay, minus  fees and should stil net atleast $340, a lot better than $200 Cap One will give you.

Message 23 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jug: Nothing's ever ethical anymore. Smiley Tongue
Message 24 of 51
bigbang91
Established Contributor

I froze my EQ as well as EX, still fighting 5+ bank to get their double pull remove. Will Cap1 approve with a TU pull? They have send me countless offer for more than a year now. I still hold a grudge against them for denying me plat prestige back in 2013 but i could use the venture to buy some AA points. 

Message 25 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think so.
Message 26 of 51
chalupaman
Super Contributor

So really besides the high limits, this card is hardly worth much right?

Sounds like I'd probably PC it to another Quicksilver or VentureOne after redeeming the bonus and before the AF hits anyway.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 27 of 51
taxi818
Super Contributor

I agree all hype. Remember at fico. Hgh starting limits rule soon as someone gets 20k limit. Myfico members on it like flie on grits. Smiley Happy 

Message 28 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering the scores approved, It may even be better than Diner's Club craze.

At least these come with a signup bonus.
Message 29 of 51
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Considering the scores approved, It may even be better than Diner's Club craze.

At least these come with a signup bonus.

I agree. But I already got 2 cap one cards. So I'm sure third would be a denial. 

Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.