Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one is the only card for me

tag
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

Capital one is the only card for me

Capital one is the only card for me.... apparently. Whenever I use card match on credit cards. Com I get list of a bunch of capital one cards. I do use my quicksilver one for everything. On a side note did anyone else get a happy holidays card from capital one this past December? Lol. Think I got one cause I use them on a daily basis. Am rebuilding and my scores are pretty steady about 670. Can't seem to get much higher. Smiley Sad
I have been carrying a couple of balances. Usually I pay in full though. Have a bankruptcy on file from 2011. How long do you all reckon it'll take for me to able to get an American express? I'm not in love with them or anything but I set them as a goal when I began rebuilding.
So far I got me 2 quicksilver ones (2500 and 500), Sallie mae (1000), nfl Barclay (800), merrick (1400), target (1400), marathon store (1000), walmart (800), and usbank secured (300).
The only active ones are the 500 quicksilver and the usbank I let my sister use. Everything else is just kinda sitting there. The 2500 capital one does still have about a 1000 on it that I'll pay off by the end of this month.
I just feel like in stuck in a rut score wise. Anyone else ever been there too?
Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one is the only card for me

@ginger1477 wrote:
Capital one is the only card for me.... apparently. Whenever I use card match on credit cards. Com I get list of a bunch of capital one cards. I do use my quicksilver one for everything. On a side note did anyone else get a happy holidays card from capital one this past December? Lol. Think I got one cause I use them on a daily basis. Am rebuilding and my scores are pretty steady about 670. Can't seem to get much higher. Smiley Sad
I have been carrying a couple of balances. Usually I pay in full though. Have a bankruptcy on file from 2011. How long do you all reckon it'll take for me to able to get an American express? I'm not in love with them or anything but I set them as a goal when I began rebuilding.
So far I got me 2 quicksilver ones (2500 and 500), Sallie mae (1000), nfl Barclay (800), merrick (1400), target (1400), marathon store (1000), walmart (800), and usbank secured (300).
The only active ones are the 500 quicksilver and the usbank I let my sister use. Everything else is just kinda sitting there. The 2500 capital one does still have about a 1000 on it that I'll pay off by the end of this month.

I'm shocked that you're not using the Sallie Mae. It's a great card.

With scores in the upper 600s, you can actually qualify for a lot of cards. I think I got my Amex BCP at around 680, same for my Chase Freedom. My Chase Amazon came earlier/with a thinner file and lower score. As long as you didn't burn the particular bank in the BK, you should be okay to apply to them. Thus, as long as Amex didn't lose money to your bankruptsy, they shouldn't have blacklisted you and you should be able to get a card. With another card or two, you could start closing the cards you don't use as well. 

Message 2 of 11
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@ginger1477 wrote:

Card Match is basically targeted advertising.  You only see Cap1 cards because Cap1 one is paying them to only show you Cap1 cards.  I only see Cap1 cards on that site also.  Try the lender's pre-qualify sites to get a better result.

I suggest Chase.  If you put in your info on Chase's pre-qual site and a card pops up, it's basically yours for the taking.  Chase's pre-quals are golden >90% of the time.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to look at possible prequals, go directly to the source (so like AMEX's site, Chase's site, BofA's site, etc etc etc) - creditcards.com has paid sponsors so they may not spit out everything you actually would qualify for.  It's about as reliable as CreditKarma's suggestions.  If you get a firm APR then it's likely you'll be approved.

You have a nice spread of cards though.  How long have you had them?  How many inquiries do you have?  Do you have any other baddies (other than the BK)?  

Message 4 of 11
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

+1. Well Said

Message 5 of 11
WNA888
New Contributor

Capital One? That's going to be 3 total inquiries on your ARS/ICS report. Not worth it.

Barclaycard TU FICO Score : 826 [1/12/15]
Message 6 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@WNA888 wrote:

Capital One? That's going to be 3 total inquiries on your ARS/ICS report. Not worth it.

I got my CapOne card in 2003. They probably pulled all three bureaus. I think the HP have fallen off my CR by now Smiley Tongue 

The card has no AF, no FTF, no BT Fee, a good interest rate, 1% rewards, and swipes at the register just like any other card.

Not getting a CapOne card just because of the 3 HP is a bit short sighted, in my opinion.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 11
WNA888
New Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

I got my CapOne card in 2003. They probably pulled all three bureaus. I think the HP have fallen off my CR by now Smiley Tongue 

The card has no AF, no FTF, no BT Fee, a good interest rate, 1% rewards, and swipes at the register just like any other card.

Not getting a CapOne card just because of the 3 HP is a bit short sighted, in my opinion.

What I was trying to say is that some banks are inquiry sensitive. First National an US Bank are known to use ARS/ICS and that capitalone one app is going to count as 3 inquiries and will likely give you a decline (unless you have a very nice score and that cap one app was the only recent one)

Barclaycard TU FICO Score : 826 [1/12/15]
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

One could always freeze IDA/ARS
Message 9 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@WNA888 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

What I was trying to say is that some banks are inquiry sensitive. First National an US Bank are known to use ARS/ICS and that capitalone one app is going to count as 3 inquiries and will likely give you a decline (unless you have a very nice score and that cap one app was the only recent one)

Each card has to be weighed for how valuable it is for the long term. App sprees and sign up bonuses are fun, until your wallet gets filled up with cards that either have high APR, charge BT fees, or have AF to get you the no FTF. I understand the need to watch the number of inquiries, that's fine. Just don't use that as your only criteria.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.