Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one just works

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one just works

It's turned into basically my most dependable card by far. The card just works with no issues. It all started when my amex would frequently get declined for reasons I still aren't sure of. Each time cap1 worked without fail and continues to do so.

Not trying to sell anyone on cap1 but it's nice having a card that just works. I treat it well so it treats me well. They def aren't the crap company they used to be, at least from my experience. I'm sure they can still suck at times but I'm happiest with them by far. Never dreamed I'd be saying that when I look back at cap1 ten years ago.
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Capital one just works

Never had an Amex decline, so not sure I agree. Just mho.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agre with you about how they treat customers.  I have never had a card be declined from any of my other lenders.  I originally got a card in 2007.   I had problems with their online payment system(you had to pay two days before due date) and it caused me nothing but headaches and fees.  I closed my account in 2011 .   I decided to apply again in October 2014 for the platinum mastercard and was approved.  The first time I went online to do a payment it felt like a different company.  It is so easy to pay now.   I just recently decided I wanted to PC to the Quicksilver and I used the chat. All I asked was could I change my account and they approved me and said to keep using my card until the new card came and I would still receive 1.5% on it.  I like that they realized that by making it easier for their customers to pay, rewarding them with CLIs for paying on time, and giving them the card they want, they would get loyalty in return. 

Message 3 of 48
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Never had one card declined. So I could say Barclay just works, Chase just works, Discover just works etc..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

Never had one card declined. So I could say Barclay just works, Chase just works, Discover just works etc..

Same here

Message 5 of 48
taxi818
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

+1. Yep they all work. I still like cap one. My favorite lender. Only thing I've not don is get cash advance with them. 

Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

+1. Yep they all work. I still like cap one. My favorite lender. Only thing I've not don is get cash advance with them. 

I got an accidental cash advance with them.  My niece asked me to send 45 dollars via Western Union and I didn't realize that putting it on my credit card would be a cash advance.  I got a 10 dollar cash advance fee and 50 cent mininum interest fee.  Lesson learned.. read before you click send.

Message 7 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time I had had a credit card declined was my WalMart store card (because I thought I had activated in online, but apparently that didn't work). But I have heard a lot of stories about cards getting declined.

Actually, my most embarassing decline moment was in 2009 with my debit card. I was at Best Buy trying to buy a new computer monitor and a graphics card as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. Denied. Denied because I had been to the mall and bought some clothes before I went to Best Buy. Apparently my debit card had a $500 daily purchase limit. SERIOUSLY?! I called the bank and they said they can't change the limit, unless I call before hand to ask them to temporarily raise the limit for 24 hours. So if I am planning a big purchase on Saturday, I would have to call before closing time on Friday and make sure that I make the purchase in under 24 hours. Geeze.

This is why I appreciate cards that "just work". I'm not a huge spender, but if I decide to go buy a new laptop or furniture or something, I just want my card to work. And luckily, I have several cards I can choose from, and I am banking on my Cap One card to work, since this is not the first thread I have seen where someone said that cap one cards "just work" when other lenders decline.

Message 8 of 48
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

LOL, Chase did flag a merchant I had been using since January 2015, and now require signature when other cards do not.  BUT, they did not decline the transaction. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 9 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's turned into basically my most dependable card by far. The card just works with no issues. It all started when my amex would frequently get declined for reasons I still aren't sure of. Each time cap1 worked without fail and continues to do so.

Not trying to sell anyone on cap1 but it's nice having a card that just works. I treat it well so it treats me well. They def aren't the crap company they used to be, at least from my experience. I'm sure they can still suck at times but I'm happiest with them by far. Never dreamed I'd be saying that when I look back at cap1 ten years ago.

All my experiences with Cap One have been positive.

I once had an Amex declined, while I was in the oral surgeon's chair.... the nonsensical reason was a 'fraud alert' due to the fact that I'd changed my mailing address a week or two earlier. (1) Why should an address change create a fraud alert??? (2)  If they had a fraud alert, why didn't they call me... instead of letting me learn about it by declining a transaction?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.