Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one max limits by card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one max limits by card

I know I read somewhere previously that Cap 1 has maxes by card.I have a 1,000 max that can;t be increased. I just applied for new card today and received only a 3k max - Can I combine these cards for a 4k max ? also anyone know that max limits by card ? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital one max limits by card

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I read somewhere previously that Cap 1 has maxes by card.I have a 1,000 max that can;t be increased. I just applied for new card today and received only a 3k max - Can I combine these cards for a 4k max ? also anyone know that max limits by card ? Thanks

I believe the max is not by card but by person (someone can contradict me on that).

For example, I had a Capital One No Hassle Cash Rewards MasterCard until a few days ago.  I was under the impression that was a prime card.  No AF, 0% APR initially, just got a CLI, no credit steps.  I called to ask about the max and they told me it was $3,000, which I'm given to understand is for the subprime card...the prime card has higher starting limits and greater maximums.  So I ended up cancelling the card. 

I'm thinking the Venture Card is the only true "prime" product they have.  I've never applied for that card and likely won't until at least I find out if I've gotten the Slate card.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 2 of 4
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Cap 1 definitely has credit limit "tiers" tied to many of their cards (and annual fees sometimes), and your credit when applying determines what you get.  The prime cards, like Venture, shouldn't be that way, but who knows with them.  They are very good for what they offer, but definitely fall far behind many other prime lenders once you're into 5+ figure credit limits. Venture looks to be a step in the right direction.  At one time, their Platinum Prestige card had a max $30k CL, but most were $20k max, and several were $3k and even $500.  This was prior to the credit meltdown.  Times has changed, as we know.  Smiley Happy

As far as combining cards, they were very accomodating of that prior to the credit meltdown, then they stopped allowing cards to be combined somewhere around 2008-09.  I don't know if that's still the policy or not. 

Message 3 of 4
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

how did you find out your max?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.