cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one pc or upgrade? When pigs fly? or try?

tag
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital one pc or upgrade? When pigs fly? or try?

@percy81 wrote:

Hello everyone, I've had my Crapital one since dec '10 (  just hit it's 3 year anniversary last month) It's the platinum rebuilder card, which means I started with 300-then 500-750 and i'be been capped at 1,000 for a almost 2 years. I've never been late on ANY payments ever do you think I have a chance on getting a pc or an upgrade?

I haven't used this card in about a year because of the lack of incentive, I mean I have very nice cards already, but for principle I'd like to get a reward for good behavior Smiley Wink

Just incase you need more info, currently i have 7% on all cards combined and $0 balance on capital one and havent swiped that card in a year.

the never cli mine and after a wile they closed it.Get rid of it asap.try ge they are fantastic on credit limits and they inrease every time

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 11 of 19
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@percy81 wrote:

Hello everyone, I've had my Crapital one since dec '10 (  just hit it's 3 year anniversary last month) It's the platinum rebuilder card, which means I started with 300-then 500-750 and i'be been capped at 1,000 for a almost 2 years. I've never been late on ANY payments ever do you think I have a chance on getting a pc or an upgrade?

I haven't used this card in about a year because of the lack of incentive, I mean I have very nice cards already, but for principle I'd like to get a reward for good behavior Smiley Wink

Just incase you need more info, currently i have 7% on all cards combined and $0 balance on capital one and havent swiped that card in a year.

oh and ps you have a exelent score just let the c1 go and get your self on the prime cards.Credit wise you are in good shape

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 12 of 19
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

As of 5 minutes ago I was able to use the Chat Now link to product change from the No-Hassle Cash Visa to the new green Cash Rewards Visa Signature. I have had the card since 2008. Now to see if they can send me stock cards instead of image cards...

EDIT: Posted too soon! Stayed on the chat and also had my Platinum MasterCard upgraded to the green Cash Rewards World MasterCard. I have had that card since 2011. It previously earned 2% back on gas and groceries and 1% back on other purchases. Now it will earn 1% on net purchases with a 50% annual bonus.

Trying not to jump out of my chair right now!

Message 13 of 19
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Finally, I get to hear some people are having luck with capital one! Congrats!!! For now, my Discover More and Chase freedom are treating me nicely, especially Discover -- I hope capital one likes the cold...freezer time.

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 14 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

@percy81 wrote:

I hope capital one likes the cold...freezer time.

Before you put them on ice, you should try the Exec route.  They converted my plat rebuilder to green cash, tripled my CL, and removed the AF for life on my orchard card all without a hard pull.  

Why keep paying the fee when you can keep the account open, improve the rewards, and increase the CL without any catch?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-to-get-a-PC-or-CLI-from-Capital-One/td-p/1690104

Message 15 of 19
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@percy81 wrote:

Finally, I get to hear some people are having luck with capital one! Congrats!!! For now, my Discover More and Chase freedom are treating me nicely, especially Discover -- I hope capital one likes the cold...freezer time.

I did it a different way than most, instead of going directly to the Exec Office I filed a complaint online with the Better Business Bureau.  I got a call the same day from their department.  Be certain when they call you that they are talking about the right account (for those that have more than one account or have cards with HSBC) as they may try and discuss the account they want to give the least to.  That's what they did with me and I kept having to reject the offer from the BBB as it was not about the account in question!  They increased my limit to basically match my other limits.  When I get the limit up to something in the $5000 range I will then try to PC to a Venture card. 

I too did not often use the card.  I would let it sit for months, then use it.  I would always pay it off in full.  I even loaned it to my sister just to have some activity on the card.  I even paid her balance off so there was no interest on the card for her to pay!  I would rather her owing me money than paying them interest.  If they had acted responsibly from the beginning I would have gladly left her balance on the card and let them collect interest!  But they didn't so I didn't!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:
I did it a different way than most, instead of going directly to the Exec Office I filed a complaint online with the Better Business Bureau.

I agree that you would get a fast response that way, but I would consider that the nuclear option.  If a company is not playing fair, screwing you over, or not responding to requests the BBB is an excellent tool.  But it makes sense to try normal channels first.  A BBB complaint will hold a lot more weight if you have already tried customer service and possibly the exec route.

Capital One's sub-prime card policies are weird.  They took all of us when we had terrible credit, but seem reluctant to move us to prime cards and high limits.  It's almost as if those options are locked out to customer service on re-builder accounts.  I think part of the rebuilding process is doing the extra steps to get yourself out of the sub-prime category with existing accounts, even if it means going to the execs or the BBB.  Once you get out of the sub-prime products, Capital One is a very different company.  

One could almost look at it like two different companies; One a stingy, paranoid, sub-prime lender, the other a generous no-fee rewards lender.  Anything you can do to move existing accounts from one to the other will only help you in the long run.

I had planned to close my Capital One and Orchard cards in the next year or two, and app for something better...  But now my Platinum re-builder is a Cash card, with no fee, and my highest limit card.  My Orchard card is fee free for life, and likely to PC to a prime product soon. If I had closed them, and app'ed for new cards, my AAOA would take a hit now, and another when the closed accounts age off.  Instead, I get to make my report look like I have had prime cards for 5 or 6 years.  Worth the hassle, especially with all soft pulls.

Message 17 of 19
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

+1, that is a good point you made in the smaller font. You get the Cap1 cards to prime and on your report it looks like they have been prime since account opening.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 18 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
+1, that is a good point you made in the smaller font. You get the Cap1 cards to prime and on your report it looks like they have been prime since account opening.

Not sure where the smaller font came from, but all fixed now.  And yeah, I'm pretty stoked that my Orchard card from 2008 when I was in the 500's might soon be a prime world mastercard or something.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.