Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one platinum question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one platinum question?

So, cap 1 sends me a pre-approval offer literally every day. But basically trying to put me into credit steps?! Lol... But I apped for a VentureOne card a few weeks ago and was approved. Does this happen to everyone? Or just me? I guess I'm confused at their logic.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital one platinum question?

I think it is pretty standard for the subprime cards from them to have credit steps now. My QS1 paperwork never mentioned steps, but I seemed to have received them anyway and my platinum (now a QS) only told me about that increase after I got the card.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I think most of their card actually already come with Credit Steps. I think that's just standard for low limit cards. I know I got put into the credit steps program with just the approval of the platinum.

Now, what was your limit with the venture one? If it's 500, you're probably already in credit steps. That's what it's for. Low limits. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My limit was $2k. So low, but not super low.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, then you don't get credit steps.
Message 5 of 10
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

When I got the platinum mastercard my CL was $300 and I had to go through credit steps. When I got my VentureOne they started me at $3K with no credit steps. I am guessing that is probably because by the time I app'd for the V1, had already well past the credit steps with the platinum card. Or maybe the prime cards dont have credit steps. I cant figure Cap1 out. You prequal for subprime with credit steps but cold app and get approved for a venture1. Go figure. Smiley Frustrated

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Steps is automatic on low-limit cards under$1,000. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I apped for a platinum, I would prob get over $1k. I didn't plan on apping. I was just trying to figure out capital one logic. Thanks everyone!
Message 8 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Trying to figure out any of these lender's logic can give you a headache lol

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Stop trying to divine "logic" based on preapps.  Do not rely on preapps.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.