cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one question

tag
carsdepot

Capital one question

I have had a cap 1 platinum card since 2005 with a 500 CL. On the site it says that CLIs are not available. Is it possible to get an increase without a hard pull. I'm trying to buy a car in January and would like to decrease my utilization. Just approved last month for chase freedom with 150 cash back with a 2000 CL which gives me hope. Anyone had any luck with cap 1 platinum CLIs. I appreciate any advice.
myFICO score 548 12/10
currently 603
goal 700
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital one question

Good luck! They're notorious for *not* giving CLIs to customers with perfect credit histories, if you read posts here. There are some lucky ones who get them, even when they don't ask. Doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason.

Accoring to Cap One, they don't do a hard pull for a CLI, but they will do 3 HP for an app for a new card. So, you have nothing to lose by calling in and asking. Just don't expect very much from them.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

Good luck! They're notorious for *not* giving CLIs to customers with perfect credit histories, if you read posts here. There are some lucky ones who get them, even when they don't ask. Doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason.

Accoring to Cap One, they don't do a hard pull for a CLI, but they will do 3 HP for an app for a new card. So, you have nothing to lose by calling in and asking. Just don't expect very much from them. 

Keep in mind that their phone reps have absolutely no idea what they're saying most of the time. You might still end up with a HP (or worse, 3) and a denied CLI. Even if they say they won't HP, they still might. You might be able to get them to remove it later, but it'll turn into a he-said-she-said type game and even if they agree that there shouldn't have been a pull it could take a while to get them to remove it.

Message 3 of 8
carsdepot

Thanks ... I don't think I'll mess with it.. The only reason that I'm keeping I open is because of how long I've had the card.
myFICO score 548 12/10
currently 603
goal 700
Message 4 of 8
johnnie198x
Contributor

@carsdepot wrote:
Thanks ... I don't think I'll mess with it.. The only reason that I'm keeping I open is because of how long I've had the card.

Yeah, don't. I can confirm that they could screw up: HP all 3 CRA for CLI and "CLI not available for this account" Now that you have Freedom, you can SD it if it has no AF

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 5 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

carsdepot wrote:
I have had a cap 1 platinum card since 2005 with a 500 CL. On the site it says that CLIs are not available. Is it possible to get an increase without a hard pull. I'm trying to buy a car in January and would like to decrease my utilization. Just approved last month for chase freedom with 150 cash back with a 2000 CL which gives me hope. Anyone had any luck with cap 1 platinum CLIs. I appreciate any advice.

I'm in the same situation with a $500 CL and no CLI in close to 4 years. But they did tell me that the ceiling on this card is $3000 .

Also I noticed that you got a Chase Freedom, can you share you score when you got the chase? They most likely pulled EX

Message 6 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, they did just screw up with me last week; though, thankfully, I don't believe they did a HP. I called *just* to inquire when the second CLI for my step card would be. I was *very* specific w/the rep that I was *NOT* asking for a CLI. I was *just* inquiring about the timing of the next step.

Imagine my shock when I got a letter in the mail saying that I had requested a CLI and they were declining me. I've called today and spoken w/numerous reps w/absolutely NO help, NO explanation, NO "we'll address this problem with the person's supervisor." ZIP! Just meager apologies... and an offer to apply for their rewards card.

Nothing good to say about Cap One at this point. I definitely *do* understand how they got their nickname on this forum, though! Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 8
carsdepot

My score was around 600. Note that I had just paid off a car loan with chase with no lates. That might be why I got the preapproval. After getting the chase freedom, I got a letter for chase slate, but I'll stick with what I have for now.
myFICO score 548 12/10
currently 603
goal 700
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.