Senior Contributor

Re: CapitalOne VentureOne

Congrats, thats awesome

Message 11 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

bump to make sure everyone that has been eager to know (that is if anyone is actually interested in knowing) that i finally did get approved.

i must say now, i have to wonder, because it turns out that my cash rewards card is over half as rewarding as having a venture without the af.. but now at least i can feel free to use a capone card for two reasons. 1) 0% apr until 12/31/13 and 10k bonus miles after 500 spend within three months.

i often wondered if Capital one Venture with Annual fee is even ever worth it for most people. 

1.5% cash back no annual fee with 10k spending = $150

2.0% points $59 annual fee  $2,950 spending would be required to offset the annual fee. So if you spent 10k for the year  $141 in rewards after paying the annual fee.

So if you spend under 10k annually on the venture cards will  lose out =\   

Although if you spend a lot more than that it should be fine, but come on we're on a credit card forum lol, we never settle on one card. The chances we're ONLY going to be using this card for 10k+ a year chances are pretty low even at 150k income. Why? Cause chances are we've got other cards to use for most our expenses lol

1. BCP or PenFED for groceries at 5-6%

2. PenFED or TrueEarnings for 4-5% gas

3. US Bank Cash+ for billpay and restaurants (usually)

4. Citi Forward 5 points for restaurants and entertainment / amazon

5. Amex Gold/Platinum for travel or CSP etc

6. Starwood for hotels etc lol

and don't even get into 5% categories Smiley Wink

reward chasers probably won't benefit from annual fee cards in most cases. I only keep two. BCP and CSP. Cause $25 of groceries offsets the annual cost, and CSP cause having a 0% transaction card that's a Visa is worth it for me by itself but it feels my 10/10 + 5% freedom categories very lucrative =)

Congrats on the approval it was your goal! but sometimes after you got it you think about it more and it's like hmmmm.... lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 12 of 19
TrishN
Established Contributor

Congrats , I trying my best to get away from crap1 when I clean my credit report . Lol

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 13 of 19
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

bump to make sure everyone that has been eager to know (that is if anyone is actually interested in knowing) that i finally did get approved.

i must say now, i have to wonder, because it turns out that my cash rewards card is over half as rewarding as having a venture without the af.. but now at least i can feel free to use a capone card for two reasons. 1) 0% apr until 12/31/13 and 10k bonus miles after 500 spend within three months.

i often wondered if Capital one Venture with Annual fee is even ever worth it for most people. 

2.0% points $59 annual fee  $2,950 spending would be required to offset the annual fee. So if you spent 10k for the year  $141 in rewards after paying the annual fee.

Although if you spend a lot more than that it should be fine, but come on we're on a credit card forum lol, we never settle on one card. The chances we're ONLY going to be using this card for 10k+ a year chances are pretty low even at 150k income. Why? Cause chances are we've got other cards to use for most our expenses lol

A lot of people's spending is vastly disproportionate to their income.  I have a lot of reimburseable business travel expenses, so I spend over 100K per year on my credit cards.  Obviously there are people with small businesses that spend a great deal more, though generally I would imagine they are running that through business cards.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

A lot of people's spending is vastly disproportionate to their income.  I have a lot of reimburseable business travel expenses, so I spend over 100K per year on my credit cards.  Obviously there are people with small businesses that spend a great deal more, though generally I would imagine they are running that through business cards.

yep i understand that fine, but businesses usually primarily use Amex for good reasons =)

and even if your running company expenses there are better cards or categories etc. if your traveling for business a lot I'm sure people would use Amex more for Platinum benefits, or Starwood for hotel benefits which greatly exceeds 2% for Starwood hotels. Value per Starpoint can be worth 2-5 cents easy. also Starwood points can get a 25% bonus at 20k points.

If you look at all the options doesn't mean people do, but for a lot of things considered Venture card isn't bad, but I think there are much better options out there for businesses, but for personal expense I can't see someone racking 10k+ on the venture card for a middle to upper middle class family. If your in high class society there are better cards to choose from, and most of us here are reward chasers so most won't get to spend that much =\

Remember Amex was originally a travel company before credit / charge cards, their travel benefits are still top of the industry =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 15 of 19
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

ventureone.jpg

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 16 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congratulations! Smiley Tongue

Your persistence and patience finally paid off. Enjoy your new card! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 17 of 19
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Awesome! Congrats!

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 18 of 19
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

ventureone complete.jpg

process complete.

when the card arrived today, i was a bit dissapointed as numbering of the card is blackened, which is dissapointing to me. i wanted a card with shiny silver numbers like my cap one cash rewards. when i have happened to have noticed other cards, they looked better then when i see it now. perhaps it is only signature cards that get the better embossing than i do. i don't know, probably perception i guess.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.