cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne doesn't want my business?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: CapitalOne doesn't want my business?

@ecocredit wrote:

@red259 wrote:

You can close the card if you want. I tend to SD cards as long as they don't have AFs. The impact on your util shouldn't be that great because its such a small credit line. You should be able to to get the EO to switch your product over and give you a CLI (oir to at least explain why your account is not eligible). I don't think cap 1 has bad cards. I just don't think they are necessarily the best. I'm much more into miles/points than cash back though. You may also have better luck with a new cap 1 app, since they are more likely to give you a higher initial CL than you would get if they increased your existing credit line. 

Can you clarify what SD, AF, OIR stand for? I have gone through the common abbreviations thread and could not find what they meant Smiley Happy At this point I don't want another HP on my account and not too many new accounts. I think I already have 2-3 HPs in the past year.

sock drawer, annual fee and oir was just a typo it was supposed to be or. 2-3 HPs isn't bad over the course of a year, but if you really don't want one then reach out to the executive office. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 21 of 50
ecocredit
New Contributor

@red259 wrote:

sock drawer, annual fee and oir was just a typo it was supposed to be or. 2-3 HPs isn't bad over the course of a year, but if you really don't want one then reach out to the executive office. 

Thanks for the clarifications. I am planning on purchasing a house and would like to keep my report as clean as possible Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 50
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Keep the card open at least until you close on a house. I would keep it open anyways. The executive office should be able to change you over to Quicksilver with no annual fee and get you a higher limit. Even if they don't keep in mind that your card has no foreign transaction fees. People seem to forget that about Cap1. It's worth keeping around just because of that. If you can get 1.5% cash back on top of it great! Email the EO. It's ridiculous to have to go that route I know, but it's worth it in the long run. I will add this though, why do you need a higher limit? You don't use the card anyways. My cap1 has 3k and it gets $9 a month from Netflix. It makes more sense to use other cards for most purchases.

Message 23 of 50
ecocredit
New Contributor

Thing is lower limit credit lines tend to be looked at negatively. It was only very recently that I realized that given my income, credit score and credit history that I could qualify for much better cards with much higher limits. I am only trying to optimize the quality and quantity of credit. Unfortunately the only thing I cannot obtain is an "old" account to improve the length of my credit history. That's the only negative part of my credit report.

Message 24 of 50
red259
Super Contributor

@ecocredit wrote:

Thing is lower limit credit lines tend to be looked at negatively. It was only very recently that I realized that given my income, credit score and credit history that I could qualify for much better cards with much higher limits. I am only trying to optimize the quality and quantity of credit. Unfortunately the only thing I cannot obtain is an "old" account to improve the length of my credit history. That's the only negative part of my credit report.

Contact the EO and see if they can PC and get you a CLI. You said it yourself that your looking to buy a house so a HP is out of the question so no new apps. I wouldn't close the account at this point. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 50
physicist82
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@ecocredit wrote:

Contact the EO and see if they can PC and get you a CLI. You said it yourself that your looking to buy a house so a HP is out of the question so no new apps. I wouldn't close the account at this point. 

But won't trying to PC through Cap1 cause a hit to his credit? That's why we have been putting off trying this with SO's Cap1 cards (500,1000, and 750 old rewards card) because we don't want to do anything that will hurt his credit before the mortgage. Also, the rewards card is at 700/750 so we don't want them to balance chase us for some reason even though the other 2 have 0 bal.

Message 26 of 50
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Who says small lines are looked at negatively? I have one card with a $500 limit from Penfed. I'll NEVER close it. Unless they take away 5% on gas... A small line with an established history of usage and on time payments is going to increase your score. FICO doesn't take the credit limit into account, only utilization. Why do you think someone that has nothing but 20k limits on 5 cards can still have a 650 while someone else with just two $500 cards can have a 750? Bottom line is your looking at buying a house soon. Don't close the account. Don't apply for new cards until you close on a mortgage. Emailing the EO will not hurt your credit in any way. The worst that could happen is for whatever reason they tell you no. IMO they will probably bump you to at least 2-3k probably more and give you a Quicksilver.

Message 27 of 50
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Once every six months buy something on the card.  It doesn't have to be big.  Then pay it off.  Don't worry about going to the EO route unless you really want a card with 1.5% back on everyday purchases.  If you do want a 1.5% everyday purchase card then contact the EO.  When you contact them, demand everything you want.  Rewards, a better credit limit, a refund on your annual fee if there is one, a lower APR, and whatever else you can think of.  It is unlikely they will give it all to you, but you should simply cover all the bases to make sure you can get as much as they will offer up.  It will probably be the AF they won't change, but the others will probably come about.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 28 of 50
Amexit

@Exonumist wrote:

Who says small lines are looked at negatively? I have one card with a $500 limit from Penfed. I'll NEVER close it. Unless they take away 5% on gas... A small line with an established history of usage and on time payments is going to increase your score. FICO doesn't take the credit limit into account, only utilization. Why do you think someone that has nothing but 20k limits on 5 cards can still have a 650 while someone else with just two $500 cards can have a 750? Bottom line is your looking at buying a house soon. Don't close the account. Don't apply for new cards until you close on a mortgage. Emailing the EO will not hurt your credit in any way. The worst that could happen is for whatever reason they tell you no. IMO they will probably bump you to at least 2-3k probably more and give you a Quicksilver.

Well said!!  My capital one cards are my first cards.  Since it helped me establish my credit, my focus went on to bigger and better offers but I won't close them.  I keep a couple bills linked to them monthly and just pay them off.  I think they don't like the fact I found Barclay and Amex thanks to this forum!! 

Smiley Wink

FICO's 07/07/2014 EQ 725 EX 727 TU 724
Message 29 of 50
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

If you feel like making the effort, I'd recommend contacting the EO.  If not, close it and move on.  

I'm still on the fence with my QS1.   What I do next depends on if I get a CLI in September.  

Why are you on the fence with your qs1? What other card would you use for everyday purchases? 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.