cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne just canceled all of my Credit Cards because I guess I used them to much.

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: CapitalOne just canceled all of my Credit Cards because I guess I used them to much.

If business cards command higher swipe fees while providing fewer protections, I wonder the opposite question to my original now: why would banks care if people open personal business cards but only ran personal charges through it? They stand to make more off letting me open a business card, and yet I don't think I can open one (though to be fair I haven't tried).
Message 31 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: CapitalOne just canceled all of my Credit Cards because I guess I used them to much.

Something else to consider... generally speaking, if someone runs up their credit card with personal expenses they'll be willing to do whatever they can to take care of the debt if a problem comes up.  If the card is run up with business expenses, many people won't feel the same moral urgency to find a solution (and if the amount is beyond their personal resources it might not matter.)

As long as someone's business expenses can pass for 'normal' spend you'll likely never have a problem using a personal card in any case.  However it's a stretch for most of us to call $50k+/month in recurring personal credit card spending 'normal' (unless you're in the 0.001% or a lottery winner).  If you have this level of spend most issuers will want to know what's going on, if for no other reason to make sure it's not the result of MS.  This is not unreasonable, IMO.

In addition, in the past when I've read of Capital One taking AA because of something like this many times all cards belonging to that person are hit, so while it is unfortunate it's not surprising that both the OPs personal and business cards were impacted. 

I agree with the other posts that it might be best to move on to other lenders.  Justified or not, once any lender suspects you're doing something against their policies (again, whether or not actually true) it's best to move on.

Just my 2¢.

Message 32 of 44
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Why would you use Venture card for business when you can get a Spark card with 2% CASH back and keep your finances normal?

You are charging $2,000,000 per year and you mix your personal and business charges together on personal credit cards?

I am confused.

BTW, it is a violation of terms to use business cards for personal (especially Amex) so I would assume the opposite it true.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our business has been with Capital One for over 15 years. Within the last year we swiched to Spark Business. Today the account was CLOSED!! WITHOUT NOTICE. Horrible for our business. We have 4 cardholders and the cards are used daily for hotels for out of town jobs. This is no new trend and we average 20k a month in expenses and pay full balance on time every time. I am waiting to hear WHY the account was closed. I could have something to do with the owner also having a personal account which was also closed the same day. Not sure how they decifer if purchases are business or personal. I was looking at transactions and most are hotel, gas, some meals, and a couple medical which we use for workmans comp injuries. I am just in disbelief that they gave NO warning. What a horrible way to treat a long time customer.!!

Message 34 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shooting-For-800 - Do you have a link that states it is a violation to use a business card for personal expenses?

I use my Amex Simply Cash for personal expenses but I pay off those charges in full. Also, a lot of cards have features that are for personal use like Chase Ink Business gives 5% CashBack on cable, internet, and home phone service. I've read a lot of threads on here in support of using business cards for personal expenses as long as you can pay them off. So I'm really confused about this...BUT the opposite is completely bad I've read that using personal cards to support business expenses can forfeit any protections you might have.
Message 35 of 44
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Shooting-For-800 - Do you have a link that states it is a violation to use a business card for personal expenses?

I use my Amex Simply Cash for personal expenses but I pay off those charges in full. Also, a lot of cards have features that are for personal use like Chase Ink Business gives 5% CashBack on cable, internet, and home phone service. I've read a lot of threads on here in support of using business cards for personal expenses as long as you can pay them off. So I'm really confused about this...BUT the opposite is completely bad I've read that using personal cards to support business expenses can forfeit any protections you might have.

"By submitting this application, you, as an individual and the Authorizing Officer of the Company, (a) are requesting us to open an Account in the name of the Company, (b) are requesting that we issue Card(s) as you direct, (c) are agreeing to be jointly and severally liable with the Company for all charges to the account, and (d) are REPRESENTING THAT ALL CARD(S) ISSUED ON THE ACCOUNT WILL ONLY BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS PURPOSES. Only qualified individuals 18 or over may be approved for a Card Account."

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several thoughts 1) personal for biz big no no.  2) High dollar amounts sounds like possible money laundering 3) What was D&B like and your paydex scores?  No D&D or report showing poor Paydex or very small business making large purchases all are flags.  I know for Biz acounts they do post/pull once in a blue moon to D& B. 

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shooting for 800 - http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/what-are-the-consequences-of-putting-all-of-my-spending-on-my-busine...

Honestly though it may be in the T&C which few people, even lawyers take the time to read. It's not something that's heavily looked at or enforced.

For example: In my state, It is illegal to stand around any building without a good reason to be there. A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.

These are actual laws, but is there any enforcement of it? Probably not.

Hundreds of thousands of people use business cards for personal use. Was that meal really 100% business related? Did you use that rental car strictly for business purposes? I recently bought some business attire at Macy's using my Business Card are they going to call up Macy's and see exactly what was purchased?
Message 38 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Shooting for 800 - http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/what-are-the-consequences-of-putting-all-of-my-spending-on-my-business-credit-card/

Honestly though it may be in the T&C which few people, even lawyers take the time to read. It's not something that's heavily looked at or enforced.

For example: In my state, It is illegal to stand around any building without a good reason to be there. A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head.

These are actual laws, but is there any enforcement of it? Probably not.

Hundreds of thousands of people use business cards for personal use. Was that meal really 100% business related? Did you use that rental car strictly for business purposes? I recently bought some business attire at Macy's using my Business Card are they going to call up Macy's and see exactly what was purchased?

So on the one side,you have the reference in the T&C that govern the card.  On the other, you have a blogger who earns money from credit card sign ups (including business cards) so it's not too surprising that thepointguy isn't discouraging cross use.    And while it is true that something may be rarely enforced, but that can change at any time, and, unlike your state law examples, the "proof" needed for the issuer to take action is not beyond a reasonable doubt, or even preponderance of the evidence, but. um, zero!

You asked for a cite, and you got one!

Message 39 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lurker - Your point being? And no need for all the excitement Smiley Wink

I'm simply stating that hundreds of thousands of people use business cards for personal expenses. (An undisputed fact). Hundreds of thousands of people aren't just a few sketchy business owners that's a lot of people.

Whether 1 in 100,000 gets their account closed for doing so I'm not disputing at all.

That's the only point I'm making.
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.