cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne secured CC- Does it unsecure after a year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapitalOne secured CC- Does it unsecure after a year?

I seem to be under the impression that this is the case. Can anyony confirm?

Next month will be one year since I opened my first secured card with Cap One. Will it unsecure automatically, or do I have to request it?

Also, will I get my initial deposit returned to me when my CC is unsecured?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
texasman07
Established Contributor

Re: CapitalOne secured CC- Does it unsecure after a year?

They DOnt Unsecure.  You will have to apply for one of thier unsecured cards.

Message 2 of 5
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I heard Cap One is very stingy with unsecuring their cards. I've had mine for over a year and they haven't offered.  I'm just using them as the basis to my rebuilding plan so I'm not overly concerned with it at this moment, but in the very  near future, I'm looking for that to happen.

Message 3 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I was told by many different reps that A) They review your account every 6 months for unsecure B) They review every year C) They do not unsecure, you need to close and reapply.

I would say the safe bet is after a year of it being open, if you have other accounts in good standing close the card, get your money back and app for a unsecured one. If you get declined, put that money into a BOA secured card. You have a way better chance of getting unsecured from them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I seem to be under the impression that this is the case. Can anyony confirm?

Next month will be one year since I opened my first secured card with Cap One. Will it unsecure automatically, or do I have to request it?

Also, will I get my initial deposit returned to me when my CC is unsecured?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

They review every 6 months to add unsecured limit to your secured limit.

They do not unsecure the card, you need to apply for another Capital One card, and your history with the secured card is a big factor.   

When you close the secured card, you get your deposit back after 2 billing cycles.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.