Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One Help

tag
lot08
New Contributor

Capitol One Help

Hi all-

First post. As most here, I have been rebuilding and have found this website and it's users incredible. 

I applied and was approved for a Capital One Platinum 5 months ago. Initially the card was only approved for $300.00, by my fourth statement they increased my limit to $2,300.00. That being said, in between that first card... I applied and received a Wayfair Card and an Overstock Card both limits were approved at $3,500.00 each.

The Capitol One increase on the Platinum (not Quicksilver) was an auto increase not luv button in Nov... In Dec I charged $1180 on it and paid it off in full a few weeks later. In Jan I charged $1856 on it and paid it off in full a few weeks after... balance is at $0 now. 

I am not sure but I thought initially I had a luv button on my initial sign on screen... it;s not there now, but I can still get to it by by going to services etc... and then there is a button for increasing CL. ( is this what everyone see's?)

I checked the pre-qualification site which came back as Quicksilver eligible... it said Congratulations and gave me an actual APR versus a range so I applied and was approved although I was pretty bummed as it was only approved at $500. I will work on increases.

So my question is should I request a CLI for the platinum or wait a few months charging and paying off... again it's only been 2 statement since they auto increased my limit. My current scores of today are (all Fico 8) Transunion 684, Experian 692, Equifax 701... I still have bad's on all three reports ( all the same bad's) that all drop off between March and May of this year.

My income is over $150k, my mortgage is $1601... no debt... all my bad's still on report are from 2009 so again they are dropping off this year. I do not have a real need for credit money other than helping my scores improve... 

I really want a major with way more than a $2300.00 line... should I hit the luv button or wait?

Thanks for your help!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capitol One Help

Hello lot08! Welcome to the forum!

I have a Capital One Venture. I think the account screen is probably the same as Capital One Platinum, but I'm not 100% certain of that. I just looked, and I have no CLI button anywhere. The only way to request a CLI online is, as you describe, through the services menu.

I don't think requesting a CLI for the Platinum is going to hurt anything (as long as it's a soft pull, and I'm pretty sure it is). So there's no harm it trying, either through the website or by calling.

However, you have decent scores even with the bad, you have a mortgage that presumably has all paid-as-agreed, and you have a couple of credit cards that you can use to build credit over the next four months. At that point, when the last of your bads go way, you should see a pretty good jump in score. And based on what you say, your report will be clean. If I were you, I would hold off on everything -- not do anything else until June. Then I'd verify your scores and apply for the cards you really want. You should be in a position to get some decent ones!

Message 2 of 6
lot08
New Contributor

Thanks... It's along the lines of what I'm thinking however, I doubt I have any chance at Discover cards, AMEC cards or Chase cards as they were some of my charge offs in 2009.... I did pay them eventually I did not declare bankruptcy ( I took the score hit and paid as I could)  but from what I have read on these boards I don't have a chance for those cards regardless of how high my score gets or how clean my reports are, so I won;t be applying for them as it seem useless. Thinking about Barclays and some others as soon as my new accounts age, scores increase.... I only have a couple hard pull on each report right now... so only going to go for what I feel positive I will get... I am getting a ton of pre-quals in the mail now... waiting for pre-approvals major cards offers to come.

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@lot08 wrote:

Hi all-

First post. As most here, I have been rebuilding and have found this website and it's users incredible. 

I applied and was approved for a Capital One Platinum 5 months ago. Initially the card was only approved for $300.00, by my fourth statement they increased my limit to $2,300.00. That being said, in between that first card... I applied and received a Wayfair Card and an Overstock Card both limits were approved at $3,500.00 each.

The Capitol One increase on the Platinum (not Quicksilver) was an auto increase not luv button in Nov... In Dec I charged $1180 on it and paid it off in full a few weeks later. In Jan I charged $1856 on it and paid it off in full a few weeks after... balance is at $0 now. 

I am not sure but I thought initially I had a luv button on my initial sign on screen... it;s not there now, but I can still get to it by by going to services etc... and then there is a button for increasing CL. ( is this what everyone see's?)

I checked the pre-qualification site which came back as Quicksilver eligible... it said Congratulations and gave me an actual APR versus a range so I applied and was approved although I was pretty bummed as it was only approved at $500. I will work on increases.

So my question is should I request a CLI for the platinum or wait a few months charging and paying off... again it's only been 2 statement since they auto increased my limit. My current scores of today are (all Fico 8) Transunion 684, Experian 692, Equifax 701... I still have bad's on all three reports ( all the same bad's) that all drop off between March and May of this year.

My income is over $150k, my mortgage is $1601... no debt... all my bad's still on report are from 2009 so again they are dropping off this year. I do not have a real need for credit money other than helping my scores improve... 

I really want a major with way more than a $2300.00 line... should I hit the luv button or wait?

Thanks for your help!!!

My advice is:

1. stop applying for store cards

2. don't worry about Capital One, they will give you auto CLI's when they're ready

3. don't apply for anything until those negatives to which you're referring fall off

Then see where your scores are at that time, and if they're decent, apply for 1 or 2 bank cards appropriate to your needs

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lot08 wrote:

Hi all-

Thanks for your help!!!

lot08,

Since it's a Platinum you should do 2 things today.

Call (not LUV button) and request a CLI and then ask them to PC the card to a QuickSilver (if you want cash rewards) or the Venture (if you want MILES){although I'm not 100% sure the Plat can PC to Venture I know it can for QS}. This is standard procedure for the Plat card.

Message 5 of 6
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I would call and ask them if there are any offers for the card.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.