cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One Underwrtiing Standards

tag
geemister

Capitol One Underwrtiing Standards

I was wondering if anyone knew the underwriting criteria used when applying to the difference cap1 cards.  For example, credit score minimums for specific cards, baddies that are and are not acceptable for specific cards, etc.  I am asking because I want to apply and am on their website.  If I'm getting the hang of this, it looks like the Platinum may be the easiest to get because it has a very high interest rate and no rewards and lists average credit for the requirements.  Obviously, I want to get the best card I can with the credit I have and don't want to waste a hp on a card I won't get.  

Also, is there possibly a number to call to get to an actual underwriter rather than the standard call-in to apply desk?  I'd also rather not waste my time with a customer service rep who can't tell me anything about qualifying for cards.

Any insight/info would be appreciated - thanks!

PS:  My info, 718 score, 3 derogs, 2 public records (2010/2011), according to credit report, debt atio's too high, no accounts in my name

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capitol One Underwrtiing Standards

Capital Ones automatic computer system for application is something else.

I use the pre-qual. on their website as that is ually accurate in matching you up for what it will approve... now what credit line you will get is anyones guess but we do have executive office email to recon credit lines!

Message 2 of 11
geemister

@Creditaddict wrote:

Capital Ones automatic computer system for application is something else.

I use the pre-qual. on their website as that is ually accurate in matching you up for what it will approve... now what credit line you will get is anyones guess but we do have executive office email to recon credit lines!

I put a FA on my account, so the prequal function doesn't work for me :/  I was hoping that one of the backdoor numbers might work for applicaitons as well.  Not overly stressed about the limit provided as I was recently approved for an Elan Visa with a $7k limit - just want to continue to beef up my score so I qualify for low mortgage rates.

Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Then I would apply directly for the Quicksilver for Excellent Credit.

Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

QS for excellent credit...really? From what I recall OPs credit history is thin, with multiple baddies and all current reporting cards are all AU's. Maybe, once the Élan reports for 6 mos.
Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
QS for excellent credit...really? From what I recall OPs credit history is thin, with multiple baddies and all current reporting cards are all AU's. Maybe, once the Élan reports for 6 mos.

okay thanks for the catch... I loose track of other posts sometimes and was basing my answer simply on the elan credit line.

Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 11
geemister

@09Lexie wrote:

Thanks again 09Lexie - yes, that is me and I did include my details in my original post (maybe there's a better way for me to highlight that in my posts?)  Given my details, I thought either the QS 1 Rewards, the Classic Platinum or the Platinum - all for average credit.  Thoughts?

Message 8 of 11
parakleet
Valued Contributor

What's your UTL, # of Inq's? If your Elan CC is new, I'd wait until it's at least 6mos to have the best shot at approval. But if that's your fico score, you may have a decent shot at the average CC from Cap1

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 9 of 11
geemister

@parakleet wrote:
What's your UTL, # of Inq's? If your Elan CC is new, I'd wait until it's at least 6mos to have the best shot at approval. But if that's your fico score, you may have a decent shot at the average CC from Cap1

My info, 714 score (corrected from 718 above, I misremembered and just pulled it up), 3 derogs (report says recent, but 2011 is most recent), 2 public records (2010/2011), UTL is 18%, 2 HPs - 10/2 and 10/16.

My score was 714 before the second hard pull.  That was through experian.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.