New Visitor

Capitol One issue

I had a charge off from Cap 1 dating back to Sept 08 never reported by CA.  CL was $300 and reached $750 w/ lates and penalties, settled for $560 back in Jan 08.  Just called Cap 1 figured i'd try to get them to reopen account and remove charge off, they refused to change charge off but agreed to delete all lates and other derog info.  my question is will the deletion of the lates help my FICO scores? 
Established Contributor

Re: Capitol One issue

Of course, that's what everyone hopes for.
Valued Member

Actually no.  If they are removing the lates but not the charge off on your report than it won't affect your score at all.  As long as it continues to report as a charge off any other changes to the account won't matter since the charge off is the most severe derog being reported for the account.

Now if they were to remove the lates and relist the account as an open account you would be in business.  Even if they were to change it from a charge off to a settled account it wouldn't help much.  Unfortunately Cap1 is a tough one too since they seem to make an effort to keep the account listed on your CR for as long as possible.

Super Contributor

My suggestion make a deal with them in which they will remove complete nagative information including the chargeoff, even if you have to make the full amount for them to do it.
New Visitor

thanks for the input.  cap 1 will only remove the lates, my score did jump 31 points when i settled.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.