New Visitor
bigboytoys1

Capitol One issue

I had a charge off from Cap 1 dating back to Sept 08 never reported by CA.  CL was $300 and reached $750 w/ lates and penalties, settled for $560 back in Jan 08.  Just called Cap 1 figured i'd try to get them to reopen account and remove charge off, they refused to change charge off but agreed to delete all lates and other derog info.  my question is will the deletion of the lates help my FICO scores? 
Established Contributor
YoungEntrepeneur

Re: Capitol One issue

Of course, that's what everyone hopes for.
Valued Member
briandor

Actually no.  If they are removing the lates but not the charge off on your report than it won't affect your score at all.  As long as it continues to report as a charge off any other changes to the account won't matter since the charge off is the most severe derog being reported for the account.

Now if they were to remove the lates and relist the account as an open account you would be in business.  Even if they were to change it from a charge off to a settled account it wouldn't help much.  Unfortunately Cap1 is a tough one too since they seem to make an effort to keep the account listed on your CR for as long as possible.

Super Contributor
concorduser

My suggestion make a deal with them in which they will remove complete nagative information including the chargeoff, even if you have to make the full amount for them to do it.
New Visitor
bigboytoys1

thanks for the input.  cap 1 will only remove the lates, my score did jump 31 points when i settled.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+