Did you mean: 

Capitol one. Help.. so annoying..

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Re: Capitol one. Help.. so annoying..

@Anonymous wrote:

@remarc wrote:

Why is capitol one so hard to work with.. they have only giving me 1 limit increase in two years.. ive never been late and never missed a payment. 

:m

I hate defending Cap 1 here. I really do. This hurts, excrutiatingly, so bear with me.

But let's be honest here, okay? It's only hard to work w Cap 1 on their rebuilding and avg cards. I've found if you close them and open a prime w them, they are quite amazing.

What I find interesting is that when it comes to Orchard and their poor CS and their AFs and puny $300 CLs and none to pathetic CLIs, for ex, people are more than happy and proud to ditch them when it's time.  People just don't really expect Orchard to grow with them, I guess.  They don't expect to keep these cards for life. They except it's a necessary evil to rebuild. The expectations are much lower.

But w Cap 1 and their AFs and pathetic CLIs and poor CSR, people get upset. Maybe it's because even tho the credit lines are basically static they're higher, or that they do have prime cards, there's this expectation that the cards should grow?

But they don't. They're exactly the same as Orchard, and any other subprime card.  There comes a time where you have to stick w it because you're rebuilding, move on to prime because you've accomplished that, or accept the pathetic-ness of having a lame card in your wallet because you don't want to take 3 hits or lose a semi-decent CL or move to a new product. But if you accept the pathetic-ness, that's you, right? Not Cap 1. 

Not that it's not cool to vent, and not that it's not frustrating. But just felt like it needed to be pointed out that it is what it is w Cap 1.

Now, I need to go take a long, hot shower. That felt really dirty and yucky. Sorry. 

Not to threadjack - and I hope this helps OP -  I agree with you on most of this.  However, my experience with Cap1 has been much more positive than negative!  I would never lump them with Orchard or their cards with any of the rebuilder cards that were offered by, let's say, HSBC.  The highest credit line I ever received from Orchard was about $300.  I had multiple HSBC accounts, including their Discover, and while they started me off with a CL of $1100 to $2100 (a complete SHOCK to me), those cards went absolutely nowhere for me, and I dreaded anytime I had to call their CSR.  I went out of town a year ago, and all fraud -alert hell broke loose, and my card was altogether shut down for nearly two weeks!

With Cap1, however, they honored their Credit Steps agreement - both of my cards starting at $500, and within 8 month, the Visa was at $1800 and the MC  at $1000. A year ago, my MC was increased to $3350 when Cap1 was surprisingly giving out CLIs, and even more suprisingly, accidentally giving them out TWICE within a couple of weeks apart.  They contacted their customers, and took back all or some of the second CLI; for me, they took back only some of it.

Only once have I had a bad experience with a CSR, after they suspended my account when I accidently tried to make like a $800 payment instead of an $80, and I certainly did not have the funds to cover that amount.  The one woman I spoke to treated me like I was trying to run some scam.  Eventually, I spoke with a very polite French Canadian man, who recognized my mistake before I could even point it out myself, and released the block on my account.  Recently, I will say, I have gotten conflicting info from the CSR, but I have to admit, they all sound as if they were new in their jobs.

What I do not like about Cap 1 is that the CSR either really do not know and/or are reluctant to admit that some of their cards DO come with a CLI limit, so we can call and wait and hope all we want, but some of our cards simply will not increase beyond the set ceiling.  This is one of the reasons the CSRs tells people to apply for a new card.  About 2 or 3 weeks ago, someone posted the specific max limits of particular cards, and yip... I found my MC rewards card there, as I suspected, with a max CL of $3000.  I do not hink that having my MC mistakenly set at $3350 will change my changes of getting more increases.

I think we can all defend or detract from any credit card company, but like you said, we know what it is going in.  We have to take advantage of the particular stregnths of a card and - reluctantly so - suffer some bottom-feeder pains before we move into a better situation.    Trust, I am not trying to sound preachy - I type this as my own reminder, too!   It tell ya, for all of the complaints I have read and even made about Cap1, I have to say that I do appreciate them.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.